Baiting

You really had some good action, DoubleUp with lots of good scenes and shooting. I know you dropped more than you were able to get video of. Good job all around.

Thanks guys, I thought with the summer doldrums going on now this might be a good time to remind us that the action will soon be picking back up again and the weather will be cooling in a couple of months. I know all of you love predator hunting just like I do.

Been pretty quiet as of late, the feeder continues to work, no coyotes though, wolf tracks on the property, the ravens and raccoons are eating well.

I thought some of you might be interested in the comparison between what the digital NV scopes see, in this case a Photon 6.5XT compared to what a Thermal sees, in this case a Pulsar XD50A. Even though this one was killed while calling, I know some of you are chaffing at the bit to get back after them again. Just a little something to keep the interest high.

It's been very wet here and haven't been out much. Last night we called a field where we've had excellent results in the past. We're in small soybeans planted behind wheat and have corn to the north and west. We actually had two coyotes respond from the SE but they refused to cross into the field we were in. The dirt road must have been their boundary line. We also had two more to the NE that we heard and could just barely see on thermal about 800 yds. out. They were on our downwind and didn't come any closer. This one finally came from the NW out of the corn after 50 minutes of calling. My hunting buddy made a nice DRT shop on her.

A coyote finally showed up last night at the bait pile. It has been a long dry spell on the bait since early May. She showed up around 1:30 and was around until about 5:00 in the morning. I thought she might make a return tonight for more fried chicken scraps.
Sure enough that didn't take long. Alarm went off at 10:55, and I took her out pretty quickly. She was nervous as all get out which is pretty usual when they first start hitting bait. I went ahead and dragged her up behind the shop so the eagles and buzzards won't get on her early in the morning.

Here she is. She is laying just like she was shot. I don't think she ever moved. No visible blood from the 243 with 58 v-max.

IMG_0411 by Double Up, on Flickr

And here is the video:

Excellent job DU!!! Great video as well!!! I know you leave bait out all year long at your place, but around here, that is a November scene...and I'm ready!!! On that note, I did have to clean the freezer out to make some room, so, I went ahead and threw that stuff at the 170 yd site. Really a lack of anything else to do with it...so we'll see what might just show up. The neighbor did just tell me that he came upon a large coyote down in the bottoms between our houses, so,just maybe!!! Let's get the season rolling!!!!

Thanks BP, I called and killed this male last night. He came hard charging and I head shot him at about 75 yds.

IMG_0412 by Double Up, on Flickr

This gives a pretty good comparison between my Pulsar XD50A thermal and my buddy's Pulsar N355 digital. He has just gotten it and is still getting used to the controls and how to get the best view on it.

It will be interesting to see what attendees you get on you early bait pile.

We went back to the 6-pack place tonight. They have just picked the corn and mowed it. Coyotes were already in the field in force. We shot down two each to make a quadruple, but were only able to recover 3 of them so far. Didn't find my first long shot that fell in a ditch. We may find him tomorrow. Anyway it was sweet revenge on those doggies from last year's fiasco. We left several in the field tonight, so we'll hit them again about the first of November. Here is a picture. I'll upload the video tomorrow.

IMG_0414 by Double Up, on Flickr

After reviewing the video, we were both confident that he was dead in the ditch, and since the farmer was still picking corn in other parts of the field we didn't want to get in the way since there was a constant flow of loaded trucks and equipment on the only field road into there.

Permitted access is everything and we try to never do anything to jeopardize that.

I'm looking for the best driveway sensor to alert me in the house when a yote comes into the bait. My spot will be about 150yards from my place. Anyone have any good recommendations?

I use a Guardline but it is only about 400' not yards from the house and receiver. It is about 25' gain in elevation to the house. Works great as intended. I do get the deer and fox that cross the drive!
Very good aiming ability. I used it along with a solar powered flood light to alert and illuminate when the fox were picking off my chickens.
$100 on amazon.

Last edited:
Back