If you could have only one.....

When I was a kid, and only had a Case "Hawbakers special" and a Buck 110 the Buck was my everyday "go to". Got more than I can count now, but still find myself grabbing a Buck when I don't have a plan.

Originally Posted By: LazerusWhat would it be?

For a general purpose "working" knife.

Pretty broad question...?

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: LazerusWhat would it be?

For a general purpose "working" knife.

Pretty broad question...?

Yes ... working ? Working like a hunting knife or working like a pocket carry to open boxes, cut rope, scrape mud out of your boot treads and then cut a piece of cheese ?

Yes, it was intentionally a broad question. Working as in not sitting on a shelf looking pretty or waiting to be sold to pay for your childs college tuition.

Just one knife.

Buck 501 with the micarta handle from the 70's holds a good edge or if you want newer the same thing with s30v blade. Big enough to skin with small enough to carry in your pocket.

I carried a Schrade LB7 for years when I was growing up on the farm. I would have no problem going back to that if I could have only one.

Provided that it is one of the older ones and not a piece of Chinee crap that they are now.

My benchmade steep country. Absolute favorite knife i’ve ever owned from finds in the river to $700 customs. I used it for my EDC for over a year till I came back to school and they don’t allow it.

For a do it all I'd have to choose a butter knife.....think about....the uses are endless...peanut butter, jelly, mayo, cheese whiz, screw driver.....yep, definitely a good butter knife.

Kidding aside....my favorite pattern is the B&T knife. Not too big...not too small.

Esee 6, i have one and its my serious "go-to" knife for hard chores. herers a photo with my 6, sheath, ferro rod attachment, and extra sheath for the small Esee AH-1 Arrowhead:

jqTMyvdX_o.jpg

Butter knife answer caused me to giggle. I'd definitely go along with the B&T nomination. A good Bird & Trout does what a knife is supposed to do. I don't beat knives through wood and all that bushcraft stuff. I have a Gransfors Brux hatchet and axe for those chores.

Still have a Schrade LB7 from the 70's, it's a registered serial numbered version.
A guy helped pickup my deer this year and needed to make a cut, so I handed it to him. He still can't get over how sharp it was.
The Sharpmaker keeps it that way.
Several of my Benchmade fixed knives qualify too so I hope to rarely have only one.

Easy answer on this one.. my SPYDERCO limited edition " Folding Bowie" designed for them by my cousin Ed Schempp of Ephrata Wa. It comes with a Bowie Shape blade with a 3 1/2" cutting edge made from of CMP 830V steel, 8-1/2" OA in lenght when open, w/pocket clip and I think Charcoal G30 Scales and His Name and Logo on the blade.
Kind of "Steep" in price at very near $175 and that's family member price.

Gene Carroll

Back