Sabine Pass Jetties

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I got an invite to go out to the Sabine Pass jetties yesterday. We left the house about 4:45 am and was at our bait catching spot about 7 am. after catching about 100 pin fish to use as bait, be put the boat in and headed to the end of the jetty just on the Louisiana side.

Our main target was to be speckled trout and redfish. We ended up catching a good many gaftop catfish when I hooked into a good size blacktip shark on my bass rig. I had the 5 foot shark right to the boat when I get a tooth cut the 40 mono leader. I changed to a 36 inch 45 lb wire leader and threw back out.

Next I had a quick moving fish on, and when I got it close thought it was a ladyfish. About that time another black tip grapped it. Turns out it was a Spanish Mackerel, and I only got half of it.

28806523447_e439b225b6_z_d.jpg

We moved to the boat cut, and there were 3 boats there and they were hooking up steady on reds and black tips.

Wasn't long and I had 40 inch redfish in the boat.

28806511537_c092d924c3_z_d.jpg

Our spot must not have been a good as the other boats as they were hooking up more often, but my two partners managed to catch 4 reds between them (a 23 inch, two 28+, and a 33 inch).

I added another 28+ redfish myself for a total of 6 reds. I tagged my 40 inch red since it swallowed the hook, and 23 also went in the fish box. The rest were released.

42979915244_533bbd9507_z_d.jpg

I hooked into another good shark, but my 65 pound braid must have been frayed from the rocks because it broke off taking a good cable shark leader with it.

It was way hot, and by 3:30 were were reeling up to make the 2.5 hour drive back home after a stop at Fuzzy's Taco Bar.

I hope to get back as soon as possible. I will be rigging some more leaders and may invest in a Shimono Calcutta 400 if I can get past the sticker shock.

Sure wish I could have landed that blacktip!

Nice fish! Too bad about the shark. The wire leader is one those things where you're danged if you do, danged if you don't.

Back