73 gr Hornady ELD-M for Prairie Dogs

Uncle Boo

I have read that the 73 gr Hornady ELD-M works well (AKA Very Explosive) on Praire Dogs from a 22-250 or 22-250 AI, and a 9 twist barrel.

Does anyone have any experience directly with shooting them at small critters? I am thinking about working up a load with these for my 22-250 AI for a PD hunt next summer.

I have been using the 75 ELD out of a 220 swift for the last 2 years. They are awesome on prairie dogs and rock chucks! I loaded the 73 ELD in my 22 Nosler and have not had a chance to try the load out on small critters. If you can get the velocity up I don't see why it wouldn't perform similarly to the 75. Give them a try I bet you will be pleased.

Buddy of mine checked the LR zeros out of his AR using his 75 A-Max loads and nailed a PD at 425 on the 2nd shot and blew it apart even at that range. Can't comment on the newer ELD-M's, but older A-Max's have been working for him.

I'm looking at the 75 ELDM also as I'm in the process of building a Rem 700 .223 with a Bartlein 7.7 twist barrel. I've heard that they are good for really long range.

I have shot thousands of prairie dogs with 75gr Amax out of a 223ai, 22-243win and 22 Creedmoor... they will absolutely explode prairie dogs at any distance...

Loaded up a few 73s the other day with some Rel 16, if it will ever cool off a bit, and I can find some extra time, I will give them a go.

da67428f9c6449a19b467b5ee0df1dd5.jpg

One of my calling buddies shot the Hornady factory 223 ammo with the 73 eldm on some prairie dogs with excellent results. Another ran them in his 22 Dasher and wrecked coyotes with them.

Back