Big Boar and 4 More Killed Last Night

Gman757

I had a couple of productive hunts last night so I thought I would share it on the forum. My first hunt was to take out a large boar that had knocked over one of my feeders. I figured he would be back early and sure enough he showed up while I was unloading my 4 wheeler to head for the plot.

I stalked him on a road through the woods and set up at about 75 yards. I set my tripod legs too high but he was acting spooky so I just went for it and put a round into him. The 6.5 Creedmoor hammered him pretty good.

1uf8N2U.jpg
LKopjGK.jpg

6LTdXY4.jpg

My second hunt was in a recently planted cotton field. I spotted a large sounder moving through the field right as I was leaving so I got my rig out and went after them. They were on the move and I could not stalk them so I caught up with them and set up by a wood line behind me.

Once the shooting started they turned and headed straight for me. I had set my scope at a 200 yard POI and 2x zoom for longer range shots so the closer they got the less FOV I had to work with. I stayed on the 2 that broke left and I could hear the rest running at me across the field. A couple stopped beside me and started growling but thankfully they went on into the woods. The growlers were a bit of a distraction that close but I finally got the 2 in the field down in time to swing around to my right and take out a straggler.

Last edited:

That was some fast shooting. Good looking boar. I don't think I would like the sound of hogs growling at me up close and in the dark.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
That was some fast shooting. Good looking boar. I don't think I would like the sound of hogs growling at me up close and in the dark.

I have had that happen several times before and it seems that when they pass by real close on the downwind side they get a nice nose full of my scent and triggers the growling. That is why a WIDE FOV scope is best for close range hunting. You are literally in the dark with thermal unless you can see it through your scope.

Last edited:
Totally awesome! I have been knocked over onto the ground by growlers four times now.....

So you fully understand why I personally prefer a WIDE FOV.

nice job Gman....been up close and personal with one sow and it was to close for comfort.....I did recover her after I changed my underwear, so all was not lost. I think that's one advantage of a suppressor, they don't know which way to run. Did you get a weight on the big boar.

Originally Posted By: larrybnice job Gman....been up close and personal with one sow and it was to close for comfort.....I did recover her after I changed my underwear, so all was not lost. I think that's one advantage of a suppressor, they don't know which way to run. Did you get a weight on the big boar.

I have a scale but did not have it with me so I did not get a weight.

I am going to keep it in my truck after this.

Back