Send it...... Staying on the Runners

Gman757

Sometimes I see videos of a sounder of hogs and the hunter shoots one hog and watches the rest run off. My method is to make sure the runners are dodging rounds as long as I can see them in my scope. I miss a lot but ammo is cheap compared to the cost of a thermal hunting rig so I stay after them and sometimes it pays off.

These are a couple of old vids where I am burning ammo but that's what it's all about to me. The one shot one kill deal only applies if I am shooting at a single.

This is why I no longer use the 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:
Why don't you like the Grendel? With proper shot placement/strike and bullet, it's a great round.

I like shooting them on the run when I can but the area I hunt has a lot of cattle so I have to be extremely careful so as not to get kicked off the ranch for accidently wounding or killing a cow.

Some nice running shots there.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptWhy don't you like the Grendel? With proper shot placement/strike and bullet, it's a great round.

I like shooting them on the run when I can but the area I hunt has a lot of cattle so I have to be extremely careful so as not to get kicked off the ranch for accidently wounding or killing a cow.

Some nice running shots there.

I personally have not had good results with the Grendel compared to the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Creedmoor. I assume part of the issue is that I cannot find a good choice of ammo and I do not reload so I am somewhat limited with that caliber.

I like as much downrange energy as possible because that has to make up for shot placement on the runners.

We killed 4 last night and one was a runner at 250 yards. It took me several shots to get a round into him. As you can see it was not a good shot but the 6.5 Creedmoor with 129 grain Hornady Interlock took him down and this is a good sized boar.

QZlOiNB.jpg

Last edited:
nice video's gman...your right I have done the same thing....shoot till there's nothing left to shoot at....that's why I keep several extra boxes of ammo and clips with me

Great Video!!!!!!! Shoot till they are all down or all gone. Plenty of extra Mags and extra boxes of Ammo, that's why I Reload!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wondering why dont yall zoom in just a little. I like to shoot on 5X myself and it seems I do pretty good on the running shots as well. I know the lower power makes better video but I notice a lot of first shots were missed

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaJust wondering why dont yall zoom in just a little. I like to shoot on 5X myself and it seems I do pretty good on the running shots as well. I know the lower power makes better video but I notice a lot of first shots were missed

It's personal preference I guess.......I prefer FOV over zoom.

I always miss a lot but I shoot a lot so it sort of averages out to dead hogs.

Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: daddyfleaJust wondering why dont yall zoom in just a little. I like to shoot on 5X myself and it seems I do pretty good on the running shots as well. I know the lower power makes better video but I notice a lot of first shots were missed

It's personal preference I guess.......I prefer FOV over zoom.

I always miss a lot but I shoot a lot so it sort of averages out to dead hogs.

I always like to make sure the first shot is a dead hog. That gives me a good excuse if I miss all the rest.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is an Awesome Caliber , Keep it up Gman.
I shoot It's Cousin , the 260 Remington in a AR10 with 130 grain Bergers.
Puts them DOWN way out there. End Story!!
Kill'em All!!

Last edited:
Back