First hog hunt

wishin4dogs

Hey everyone. I'm finally going to be hunting Texas hogs this coming weekend. The outfit has been pretty great about answering questions. I'm just wondering if anyone else can give me some advice. I've hunted the wide open West all my life so hunting from a blind, over a feeder, and at night will be very different for me. Can anyone give me some tips? Any "what I wish I knew before" kind of info would be great. This is not a cheap hunt, and it will be my daughter's first hunt so I want it to be fun and successful. Thanks in advance.

I haven't killed a lot of hogs, but here are a few take-aways from my experience. Take a semi-automatic. Shoot them in the "neck" so they drop and paddle and you don't have to look for them in the thick brush. Practice getting on target with your light before doing it on a live target. Some hogs are light shy, so ask. If they are, use a dimmer light, or turn the light on with it pointed high and bring it down on the hogs. If you whack one right after the feeder goes off, don't get excited. Wait a while since there could be more coming.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam Shoot them in the "neck" so they drop......If you whack one right after the feeder goes off, don't get excited. Wait a while since there could be more coming.

I too haven't killed many hogs, but good advice above, from my limited experience. I dropped three hogs at a feeder earlier this month. After the first one hit the ground I continued waiting in the blind. After a while another group appeared and I dropped a second one. Then night time came and I switched to night mode on the X-Sight and dropped a third one as yet another group showed up. I head shot all three, and head shot one the previous night dropping all where they stood. Last year I neck shot one and it too dropped on the spot.

Back