Swedish Canadians

Arcticfox

Most of the time I hunt grouse and ptarmigan this time of the year, but two nights ago a friend called as I was unpacking from a four day tent trip for upland birds. Said he had 800 geese feeding in a field that same afternoon, and if I could be there by 04.00 there would be a goose hunt to remember. I packed the goose gear, got a little over an hours sleep and drove the 170 miles. Got there a little ahead of time and this is what it was like. Couldn't help posting a few pics... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

If we had gotten the wind that the forecast promised, there would have been more geese down. At least that's what my friend says. But I'm not complaining. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, as the sun got up, this was the view in front of me.
Dscn05010249.jpg

View to the right.
Dscn05000248.jpg

View to the left.
Dscn04990247.jpg

And at pick-up time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dscn05020250.jpg

Those canadas are not native here. But given a few decades they have really got their numbers up. And no, we don't have bag limits on them. They still increase... They do not always go down well with farmers and golfers, but I love them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Wow. Near as I can count you've got thrity some geese laying there. Very impressive.

And, here our limit is two per day, four in possession. Makes my pics where I post a pic of two dead geese seem pretty insignificant!

Randy there's 39 geese in total but then again I can't post close shots of my hunting partners... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And I sure don't see no refuge from my house!

Wow ---now you got me excited ---that's a lot meat ---now how hard is it going to be to work hard to shoot something that weighs about 8 oz. ----That's what is in store for you here in Az
Bird dog 3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

HOLY COW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif That is very impressive! I'd drive that long too, to be able to park that many geese in one day. We have a bag limit of 3 dark geese (cackling, brant, canada) here. Thanks for posting the pics.

If all it takes is motivation I think I may get my share of those 8 ouncers too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif All in it's own time - there will be no honkers around here after Christmas... Days are pretty short for predator calling and ptarmigan is really way nicer to hunt later, in February and March, so the timing is perfect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Back