#12 was a big BAR

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I had pictures of this BAR back in Sept. but have not seen him since. I heard a couple of other guys on the lease had pictures to the south of me since then. They have been doing some logging over that way so maybe they pushed him pack my way.

He was crossing a lane that has an empty feeder so I hurried my shot as he was crossing. I dropped him but he got back up and I threw another shot into him and he took off. I jumped out the stand and took off to see if I could find him. He was about 150 yards when I shot him and by time I got down there I could hear him moaning and I found him walking away down in the creek steadily going away and down hill. By the time I was able to get something other than a butt shot he had gone another 100 yards down hill. I had to a put a couple more in him and then the fun started.

Texted a buddy at there lease that I was going to need help. Went and got the truck and field dressed him and started trying to drag him up out of the creek toward the truck. My buddy had back surgery a month ago, so I knew he would be able to help drag. It was slow going and by the time he got there was only half way to the truck.

We cut a few sapling to get his truck closer and then ran out his winch cable to drag him closer to the truck and then he just put it in reverse and drug him up to my truck.

41910526311_c0faa1ba6e_z_d.jpg

Field dressed he was 220 pounds so I figure he was around 260 live weight.

41866835202_a0677c409c_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry yellowhammer, I did not notice that he was a Bar in the overhead caption. We used to get a lot of them in South Georgia, but I have not seen one in several years now. I think a lot of those that we got were ones that escaped from Farmers or were turned out when the Hog Market Collapsed in Georgia several years ago.

He should make some fine sausage and or Bar-B-Que.

Last edited:
Back