Barrel Threading

yoteslayer77

Got an Omega 300 suppressor that should be being close to getting out of jail soon. I have a Rem. 700 that I need threaded. Where do you guys send your barrels to to get threaded? Thx.

Any good gunsmith should be able to thread a barrel for you, but you may want to check with Silencerco and see if they have a certain spec they recommend the threads be cut to.

Dakota silencer Co. threads barrels now. $70 I believe plus the shipping. Otherwise look up local gunsmiths and talk to them.

I also use a local machinist/gunsmith. In fact just dropped one off yesterday, got it back today, great looking work and tight threads.

i use ADCO - they're just outside of toledo. great guys, always nice work on the barrels i've sent in, and the turnaround is great.

i can ship a barrel on a friday, ground, and its back in my hands end of the next week.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Dakota silencer Co. threads barrels now. $70 I believe plus the shipping. Otherwise look up local gunsmiths and talk to them. This is more like it! Cant stand to see people pay upwards of $120 and up per barrel. My smith / machinist told me that any decent machinist should be able to set the barrel up and have it threaded in under 30 minutes. He charges me $35 per barrel. I have had right at 10 barrels done by him. I would hate to think of what I would have spent had I had to mail in everyone of those to some other company at $120 a piece

Last edited:
Morgan @ Class 3 Machining in Texas threads for like $75 per barrel or TS Customs and Longrifles Inc in South Dakota thread for $100. I've used all 3 with great results.

Just an FYI....if you are planning to shoot subs. Sone rem700 308s are 1:12 twist and may not stabilize heavy subs. Friend of mine had that issue. His was a varmint model.

+1 on adco above

Originally Posted By: TV308Just an FYI....if you are planning to shoot subs. Sone rem700 308s are 1:12 twist and may not stabilize heavy subs. Friend of mine had that issue. His was a varmint model.

+1 on adco above

Great point TV308. We ran into the same results shooting subs. We handloaded several different subs to run out of our suppressed 16in .308 and some shot nice, others tumbled and key holed. Something to consider for sure.

Thx for the responses. I found a local smith to thread the barrel. May try some subs out of it at some point. What bullet weight do you guys suggest for subs out of a 12 twist barrel? I do reload.

Originally Posted By: yoteslayer77Thx for the responses. I found a local smith to thread the barrel. May try some subs out of it at some point. What bullet weight do you guys suggest for subs out of a 12 twist barrel? I do reload. what caliber?

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: yoteslayer77Thx for the responses. I found a local smith to thread the barrel. May try some subs out of it at some point. What bullet weight do you guys suggest for subs out of a 12 twist barrel? I do reload. what caliber?

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700I’ve had all my barrels done by Class 3 Machining.

I also had all of my threading done by Morgan at Class 3 Machining. He does great work, at a very reasonable price.

Just remember that the proper way to thread a barrel for a suppressor, to ensure threads concentric with the bore, is between centers, not in a 4 jaw chuck and certainly not in a 3-jaw. That also means you're going to have to recrown the barrel after cutting the threads. Not something I'd let a generic machinist do but a machinist familiar with gunsmithing or a gunsmith that does machine work like that regularly should be fine. It's not worth it to me to risk a $1000+ investment (and the 10 months to get a new one) on a rifle that may not have perfectly concentric threads.

^^^^^

I'm super picky about the machine work on my rifles. "Most" guys that do this work, don't seem to "get it". But that still leaves a lot that do.

I have had them done at LRI and it's fantastic work, quick turn, reasonable price. The last batch I had done locally by Cody Farr, he gets it and does fantastic work. Got a slightly lower price than LRI because I was having a bushel basket full of barrels done at once. Turn time pretty fast, and being local saved me on shipping. I plan to have him do any others I need in the future.

But I went to see another local guy before talking to Cody. On the phone he had said most of the right things. Got there in person and started asking him a few questions and he just flat out told me I better go find someone else to thread my barrels if I expected him to take that much time on setup to make sure they were all as concentric as possible. He was just gonna chuck 'em up, indicate on the OUTSIDE (YIKES!!!!) and go. Probably a pretty common approach but not good enough for MY barrels.

- DAA

I have a guy here in Elko do some work for me.
He put a new barrel on for me and threaded for my suppressor. I quzzied the chit out of him before i let him do any work.

I have been very happy and others i have sent to him have as well.

Back