Friday the 13th - 2018 spring Steelhead fishing trip

Plant.One

We headed up to the Muskegon River in the Tailwaters of Croton Dam this past week for a couple days of steelhead fishing. Action while wading was slow so we hired Tim @ Campbell's Guided River Adventures for a half day boat trip to get to the holes that were holding fish that were not accessable by wader. Even with the rain friday, and the thunderstorm rolling through briefly around 930am, He really got us onto the fish!

We went 3 for 7 on steelhead between me and my bro - and threw back more walleye than we cared to count. Had it not been for the front that T-Storm rolled across with shutting down the bite for 3+ hours on us - even the walleye quit biting - we probably would have battled - and brought home - a LOT more fish.

I finished the day off with this 5.3 lbs hen @ 23.75"
J0CpfPxhQjia5e9bCvDbdw.png

New Personal best. First steel of the day for me with this hen - 7.5 lbs @ 28" - she dropped 100% of her eggs while on stringer before i could put her on a scale too, probalby lost another 1.5 lbs or more
frown.gif

1pwiKzaoQpuoyAjUyuP4Ig.png

look at the rudder on her - we measured it out 9"
MbsRpgy6SVW7ditON9bdwQ.png

Bro got a 24" Male that weight'ed in at 5.75 lbs. He managed to put the first steelhead in the boat too!
iFyTA4TfQzeuV0Jcjpwwmg.png

we couldn't keep the walleye off the end of our lines. The river was LOADED with spawners this week. Just a few of the walleye we boated. If the season wasnt closed, we could have easily taken a limit catch home of >20" fish and were throwing back >24" specimens non stop. Its a real downer when some of the best walleye fishing you've ever done happens during a steelhead trip LOL

KVWMy_66SMWFw6Mq_ToQOQ.png

eIvy7HizSXmWMx8jbwrHaw.png

FLGhq7JQTRGB2oqmpe6f2w.png

sometime over the next couple weeks when the river warms up a few degrees this fishery is going to go crazy with spring spawning runners. Sadly i dont think i'll have time to get back up there before the run is over though. Time will tell though!

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Pretty fish! The Ozark hillbillies call walleye "jack salmon" for some reason. We have "jack salmon" in several Ozark rivers and lakes. I've caught a few by accident while smallmouth bass fishing.

Very nice trip,
too bad on the walleyes, not much better eat'n than walleye..

are u sure a walleye didn't just jump smack into your fry'n pan for lunch ?? -jk-

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOh man , I bet that was a super fun day !

Spring fishing has been on the rocks with all the jacked up weather.
frown.gif

yup. its really getting on my nerves.

the huron is finally wadeable again, so hopefully it'll be good opening weekend for us down here.

cant wait to get up north for some real trout water after things slow down a bit for me work wise too

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlVery nice trip,
too bad on the walleyes, not much better eat'n than walleye..

are u sure a walleye didn't just jump smack into your fry'n pan for lunch ?? -jk-

ya i hear ya. and those big boys i was eye'ing up the cheeks like "yum, walleye filet mignon!"

Back