Dakota Varminter 4.0?

Tgunz64

Looking into buying my first suppressor and I came across the Varminter 4.0. Last year it was the 3.0. Compared to Gemtech and Silencerco it seems to be the better deal being 100% titanium and nearly 8oz lighter with good db reduction. Is it worth it or not or are there other ones I should look into as well? At $850 it's towards the top of the price range for a .224/5.56 caliber suppressor.

Ive heard nothing but good about these from people that have them
Btw, im referring to the older model to my understanding they are a very good company with good customer service

Last edited:
I have the 2.0 in both .223 and .30

The 2.0 is a sealed unit.

The 3.0 was user serviceable.

Now the 4.0 is able to be shorted.

Nice working with the team at Dakota Silencer. And they will set you up with a Trust for free.

The free trust is definitely a plus as well. From what I understand wait times are about 8-12 months? If that's so then I may order sooner than I planned to.

That 4.0 looks pretty slick. What are the reports on accuracy? Does it hold zero after being taken apart and reassembled or shortened?

No idea. I'm new to the suppressor stuff. Didn't think accuracy was a problem after disassembly/reassembly. All I know is my Ruger Hawkeye All Weather 22-250 is very accurate out to 200 yards stock. Just hoping to make it quieter.

No problem, Tgunz, this 4.0 has just piqued my interest, so now I have a bunch of questions. Their website says accuracy is great, but wondered if anyone has firsthand experience. I may have to give the manufacturer a call just to see what all is possible with their modular design and satisfy my curiosity.

I have 2 of the 3.0 and Dakota Silencer are great to work with. If the law that Obama put into effect ever changes I will order another for 30 caliber. I have a trust from Dakota and with the change I would have to have all users to be finger printed, etc. Rudy

The 4.0 has not been on the market long enough for anyone to own one. So field reports would be from someone that was out with someone from Dakota Silencer.

I made a new purchase after the 41f rule. I set up a new trust for that purchase. Only I needed to be fingerprinted. After the stamp come back, I will add the other trustees. No prints needed.

Originally Posted By: Walking ManThe 4.0 has not been on the market long enough for anyone to own one. So field reports would be from someone that was out with someone from Dakota Silencer.
That is correct as it did just release. I just picked up my 3.0 in 30 cal at a gun show in March from them. I had waited a little over 8 months for my trust.

Overall impressions are good of the 3.0. Dakota Silencer said the main difference for the 4.0 is the ability to take 2 inches off the length if not needed. The baffle system can be a little tricky to get out once you get a lot of crud in the silencer on the 3.0. This is my first silencer so I can't compare it to others. I have been using in on a 6mm AR down to a .17 HMR and it does a nice job on all of them. I was shocked how much it quieted down the .17 HMR. It made me think that I should pick up a .17 Rimfire can as well. The 4.0 would have been nice for that. The actual Varminter series is made by Mack Brothers and Dakota Silencer sells it. They were good to work with.

Thanks for the info guys. Still debating if I want to go through all the beurocratic bs right now to obtain one. But I'm pretty sure I'll get the process going here fairly soon. And almost 100% sure I'll go with the 4.0. Also I need to get my barrel threaded on my Hawkeye too.

Done it twice and will do it again. My son & I went on a prairie dog hunt. He was astonished at how quite my 22-250 was. He thought I was shooting my 204. He will start the process soon, then the wait. Rudy

Just placed my order for the Varminter 4.0 a few minutes ago. Now comes the long wait. I had planned to get one this summer but with the long wait I figured it would be best to get the ball rolling as soon as I can. I hope to hear some reviews before long. Dave

Do it!! Dakota silencer is a great company to work with as others have said. I have two .30 cal 3.0 cans. I have 1/2 X 28 to 5/8 X 24 thread adapter for them and run them from 300 wm’s down to 17hmrs. The ability to take them apart and clean them so I can use them on rimfire is why I bought the 30 cal 3.0. Going from a larger caliber hunting coyotes/ big game then spinning the cans on the 17hmrs for a little bit of midday prairie dog shooting is awesome. My 17 hmr’s are bull barreled savages and honestly I’ve never noticed the length/weight of the cans on them. The only gun I have that I think would be nice to have a shorter can is a 24” heavy barreled AR in 20 practical. However I honestly doubt I’d be able to notice 2” with TI cans. Either way good luck!

Flybum, do you have any POI issues changing them around like that? I'm hoping to get a 4.0 from them and would like to know how well they do downrange.

Originally Posted By: RayDogAnyone have one near me CO WY. I can meter one.

Ray,
Mack Bros. in Sturgis manufactures them, not far from you fellas.

Back