question regarding the need for a license

CB23

so my wife wants to come hunting with me one of these nights. my first thought was awesome, itll be nice for someone else to work the light instead of me trying to hold a gun a light and work the call. second thought was if she needed a license if all she is doing is working the light

we live in Michigan

any thoughts would be appreciated

Not a Michigan Warden, but I'd guess if she is working the light she would be actively participating in the hunt and would need a license.

A definition for "hunting" should be in the Michigan wildlife regulations somewhere. Look at how hunting is defined and see if shining a light fits the definition.

the licence is cheap enough you might as well just pick one up. that way there's no question if she's legal to be out with you. that way if she's so inclined you can let her have a shot at one and be 100% in the good.

The legal definition is below and a person shining the light is clearly hunting, just the same as if they were calling turkeys, or actively driving deer. Exempt persons would be those like true observers or those there strictly to videotape the hunt.

NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROT...o N. Sec. 43505

(1) "Hunt" and "hunting" mean to pursue, capture, shoot, kill, chase, follow, harass, harm, rob, or trap a wild animal, or to attempt to engage in such an activity.

Back