Baiting

1t, when I first started baiting I killed 16 in 3 months, but it took a while for them to replenish the area. I went several months and didn't see any, but I bait all year. In those cases where you are baiting during the winter months, you might do just as well next winter. I've never done as well since as I did that first 3 months, but I killed 10 on the bait pile last spring, so it wasn't too bad. It was slower this past fall and I've only taken 5 on the bait pile so far.

My night season ended here in Illinois last night so I'm done for the year. I'll probably start a little earlier with the pile next year. I'm thinking right after our deer season ends.

At least changing the baiting site occasionally I think is a good idea. It seemed to me that after many kills at the same location, the smell of animals dying seemed to permeate the ground and act as a barrier to new arrivals. But that should long since be gone if you only bait in the winter.

Greetings all! Congrats on a great season GG, sounds like the night vision really stepped up your game. Next season will be here before you know it and then its game on...with that elusive coyote as well!!! Good job!!
1toppy, to answer your question, I think it all kind of depends...overall population in your area, habitat, food source year around not counting your bait. Said a different way, does your area hold coyotes year around with out drawing them in with bait? I start baiting about November 1st. My experience has been an increase in numbers each year of coyotes taken. Now, having said that, I have also been getting smarter and learning their tricks a little bit. I think there is also something to the territorial turf a group of coyotes run and protect, meaning that when you take the alpha or alpha pair, I think this can create an opportunity for a new group to move in...fill the vacuum so to speak. New coyotes, new to your bait, increased opportunities, and maybe increased numbers. This is kind of my take on my situation here. This may vary form location to location.
So, on that note, I did score #15 early this morning. A female on the 170. This girl, I believe is definitely uploaded...BIG belly. Kind of a sad note, thinking about the crop for next winter, but...this time of year, a chance we all take.
The red meat is the beaver I put out. This is all they have been eating since I put it out!! Coyote candy...I think so!! New game for next year for sure!!!
j3-17170 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Remington 700 .22-250 again. I have been really pleased with this combo this year.
j3-17170 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr
For all that the season is closed, Hang tough, fall is coming!!! Everyone else, Stay after em and keep us posted!!

Last edited:

Nice job again Baitpile. You are really racking them up.

I'm like you in that I too hate to shoot them when they are with pups or have pups in the den. Hurts future hunts since I don't have a huge population to begin with.

Originally Posted By: 1toppyHey all! This was my first year of having a baitpile. I usually only night hunted by calling them in but with my kids sports schedules I have no time to get out so I decided to let them come to me. Since the first of the year I took 10 coyotes, 6 red fox. I never thought that I would shoot that many predators over one baitpile. My question for those of you that have been doing this awhile is, will there be more move back into the area for next year or will I see a decrease? Thanks for any experiences you can give!

You can count on 10 more next year. Stats say you must kill 70% for 3 years in a row, in an area to see a decrease.
No matter how many I kill, I get the same amount or more the next year.

I have been following this topic for a month or so and I am thankful for all the knowledge shared! It is my first year baiting. I bought the families farm last year and see my bait from the house. So far I have shot 6 coyotes. I missed one this am. What are the likely chances it will return or has it gone to a different zip code?

My baitpile was 85 yards from my house (against a hill for safety) with a motion detector place on it to notify me when something was visiting. Needless to say there weren't many nights I got to sleep all night but it worked great. I believe there is a plentiful supply of coyotes in my area. I live about 3/4 mile from a large national wildlife refuge where there is a substantial amount of them. The first six coyotes I killed were all males then a female then a male and finished with two females. All of the 6 foxes were males. I thought that was kinda odd.

Thanks guys.
Weekender, I am limited to moon light on snow and as soon as I can see prior to sun up and after sunset. The majority of my coyotes are all with snow. I got caught 2 mornings ago unprepared. My beeper went off at 8:05 am. Not dressed for 27* temps...read as in my underwear...I was just going to shooo an eagle off my bait...so I thought. I looked out the window and there stood Mr. coyote in the bright sunshine on my bait pile. By the time I threw some sweats on, he had moved on. I have just been very fortunate this year with a large number in my area.
Hudson and toppy...you guys are doing outstanding!!! It only gets better from here. stay after em fellas!!!
P.S. Beavers guys...beavers!!!

Interesting note...for you guys with the handicapped, three legged, blind and deaf coyotes at your bait. I just pulled a trail cam card and found a coyote visiting my bait with a snare locked around his neck, cable hanging. He looks pretty rough. I would like to get this one, just to give him some relief. I have had quite the population and numbers this year. Hopefully this is a trend in my area. Good luck all...stay after em!!!

I have been using roadkill deer and beaver that I trapped this winter. Of the coyotes I shot so far 5 have been females and one male. I have some moultri 990i trail cams but I haven't used them yet. I don't want to spook them. What trail cams are guys using?

I have been using 850nm cameras all along and had good success with a Moultrie M880 and a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD. The Moultrie finally went bad after maybe three continuous years recording video 24/7 all year long. The Bushnell is still going strong. Some coyotes, particularly crippled ones, are scared of the red glow but most seem to not be too affected.

Just recently I decided to try a no-glow 940nm model. I got a Moultrie GM-30i but it didn't illuminate very well at my site so I have replaced it with the old Bushnell. DoubleUp has the Moultrie A-30i and is very pleased with his but mine just doesn't work well enough to use at my site. His is rated for 10 feet more than mine.

Back