Baiting

Well, bummer. I opened the package a few minutes ago and I got the wrong scope. They sent the 5-20X model. I have contacted Amazon and have a 3-14 coming, supposedly on Monday. They issued a return label and was very helpful. My order page on Amazon clearly shows an order for the 3-14 scope.

One word about the 5-20X, I don't like it as well for my intended purpose. I inserted AA batteries to look through it to see how it compares to the 5-20. The magnification is way more than I want. It would be good if I were hunting a bait site at a longer range, but for calling and closer ranges, the 3-14 is the way to go.

Thanks Weekender for the help offer.

6mm - X-Sight is working just fine, thank you. Like weekender, if I can help, let me know - though I'm still getting use to the scope myself. Have you broken the seal on the box yet?

Gobbler, thanks for your help and guidance with the scope. There is going to be a learning curve with it. I have also been watching some YouTube videos that have been very informative. A guy named Steve Allen has some very good tutorial videos on the X-Sight. Part 3 of his series is very good in explaning the menu and setup.

The seal was already broken when I got it and a corner of the box flap was torn. The scope looks new but apparently someone has opened it before. I informed the lady at Amazon. She was very helpful and issued a return label and they will pay return shipping. Even with a broken seal, the scope would be returnable within 30 days. Because of the error on their part, she gave me 2-day expedited shipping on the replacement scope. It is supposed to arrive Monday.

I am glad I got the 3-14 model after looking at the 5-20, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I was able to check it out. Now I have a better understanding of the two. If I were shooting at a bait site over a distance, maybe 150 yards, the 5-20 would be good, but for general predator calling and at my 60 yard cabin bait site, the 3-14 is my preference. The field of view is pretty darn limited with the 5-20.

6mm -Sorry, didn't see your post from earlier today. That's a bummer - wrong scope. For me, the FOV is a huge factor and you were able to see the limited FOV with the 5-20. Supposed to be a rainy weekend, maybe next week will be better weather to sight everything in anyway.
One thing that happened on my hunt last night with the scope, the lens fogged up - but I know why. The lens was cold and when I looked through the scope for a longer than normal sight-n-shoot time, my 98.7 temperature did not mix well with the 26 degree glass temperature. Not sure how to easily fix that one. Adding those little hand warmer heat packs would be too over the top for me.

Great passel of coons gg!!! Keep up the good work!! Rain?? Whats that?? 5* here right now with 6" of new snow last night. Hoping for a hungry one to come in tonight!!!

GG, I think most of these scopes that have the rubber eye bellows are prone to do that when we press our eye in close enough that it causes the outside of ocular to fog. I usually just back my eye away from the seal and it will clear in a few seconds. Once you are looking for it to happen you can just move your eye back a little to prevent if from happening. Looks like the coon hunting was pretty good. What weight do they normally have up in your neck of the woods?

6mm, well you get chance to try them both. Would have been a heck of price if you'd have liked the 5x20. With the zoom function I don't see where you would need more than the 3x14. Hope you like it when it all gets corrected.

DU, Absolutely love hunting the masked bandits!!They are the most quiet to come in to a bait pile. Sometimes I think they can actually walk on air! Last year was my best year, I took 19. Like everything else, their population fluctuates, some years more than others. My takes come in between 11 and 16 lbs. for 1 year olds or older.

Seems to be very deadly.
smile.gif

GG, what brand, weight and type are you using? ...just curious. Becoming more of a fan of 223 than previously. 2 for 2 with Hornady 53 grain V-Max DRT both shots under 125 yds. Friend of mine telling me another good one was Barnes. Loaded up feeding buffet yesterday and with the yotes barking on the hills at 3 in the morning should not take them long to find it.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterDD - Hornady Superformance Varmint 53 gr. V-max too. My gun seems to like them, I like them, but the predators not so much.

Knock on wood, been working well for me too.

Awesome guys! Been slow here until last night. Shot another triple. All dead within a 15 yard circle. I makes 31 for the season Im to stupid to get this iphone thing working but all shots are on video. Wonder if there is anybody I could send the pics to and they post them? That would be easier for us tech challenged old guys. Keep killin.

Just shot another yote. Hit him high and had to chase him around a bit.He would run about 100 and lay down. Finally got lucky shooting off my tall sticks and got him killed. Nasty manged up male. Cz 512 22 mag.

Back