Member E-mail addresses

River Runner

...have recently been removed from view for your own privacy.
For those wondering why they are now shown as "hidden" in your profiles.

We have members using our popularity and high membership traffic to harvest e-mail addresses in attempt to solicit their own websites.
We try our hardest to prevent our members from being spammed with our zero tolerance policy in the forums, and due to recent events have removed your e-mail addresses from public view also.

I would appreciate and encourage anyone getting spammed or solicited by another PM member to contact me.

Glenn that always was an option...until we removed them.
When members fill out there profile information they are givin the option to enter two e-mail addresses.
One that they don't care if everyone sees titled "Displayed Email Address", and another place to enter what was called "Real E-mail Address. Only PM staff had access to the "Real E-mail Address.

The problem is...or was...that most members either weren't sure what the option was for or got confused and entered the same address in both, thus exposing their e-mail address to anyone that accessed the board.

Now I realize that, that may not be much of a problem for most, but the Predator Masters Privacy Statement reads;
All personal data is accessed ONLY by authorized Predator Master personnel and on a need to know basis.

We require e-mail addresses to allow members to automatically retrieve forgotten passwords. E-mail addresses may also be used to periodically notify members of changes to website features or news and announcements deemed important by Predator Masters Administration. E-mail sent out for notification in these instances will be done so in a manner where members e-mail addresses will not be seen by unauthorized personnel.

So....when I recently got approached by members being spammed from another PM member soliciting for membership to his new site, I realized that the way member profiles were currently set up was actually contradicting our Privacy Statement. Which is available at the bottom of all the forum pages.

Members can still contact each other by using the Private Message feature, but they don't have to expose their e-mail address to the world do so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Thanks for looking out for us Jim...

some one has to according to my wife..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back