Baiting

Baitpile, good job. You have had a pretty good season so far.

Paul, nice photos. As to bait, I use a carcass from time to time, but most of the year I use small scraps. When using a carcass, I have learned that coyotes will continue coming to the baitsite even when there's no meat left on the bones. I have the carcass wired down so they can't drag it off without considerable work. Sometimes a portion will break off and they will steal it. I used to throw the bones away after all the meat was gone but now I leave them there longer.

Outstanding DU!!! A very nice dark color!! They are definitely breeding right now and paired up...the pair on my bait last night was actually breeding at my bait site...on trail cam video.
pmack...I too have been through the very lean times. But, they are there. Can be soooo frustrating!!! I have used a lot of different bait from butcher scraps to different meats from cleaning out the freezer. I have found the road kill deer to be the top contender!!! I am just guessing, but that is something that they live on year around and is natural to them. Stay after em!!! Before we know it, it will be 95* and we'll be praying for November
smile.gif

Thanks 6mm!! It has been a good year. I have enjoyed the Xsight conversation as well with great interest...keep us posted on your results as well when you get up and running!!

Road kill has been my most succesful, and I've staked them down as was suggested. The weird thing about this year is the carcasses have been left alone while the heads with the capes were dragged away. While their were tracks in the field the capes while picked clean still draw the most attention back in the woods.

pmack, I'm betting its a security thing. The heads were able to be dragged to more seclusion...and they have been returning there with a sense of security...in the woods. Get rid of all the heads/capes and see what happens. Just a thought. I have always staked everything down tight. If I freshen up the pile, I'll remove the picked clean stuff and take it completely out of the area...miles. That way, their only option is my pile...in my crosshairs.

Originally Posted By: baitpileGood evening gentlemen. Had a good night tonight on the bait. Its been snowing here today, so got a nice snow cover back and put the coyotes on the move...to my bait anyway. Had a pair come in tonight. Fun to watch multiples at your bait site. I got the female and the male left at mach 2 and never returned to check on things. Number 9 this year, not counting a miss and a splash that I never found. so its been a banner year for us this year!!!
j2-3 (4) by jrhranch, on Flickr
j2-3 (3) by jrhranch, on Flickr

pile em up, nice shooting

Originally Posted By: baitpilepmack, I'm betting its a security thing. The heads were able to be dragged to more seclusion...and they have been returning there with a sense of security...in the woods. Get rid of all the heads/capes and see what happens. Just a thought. I have always staked everything down tight. If I freshen up the pile, I'll remove the picked clean stuff and take it completely out of the area...miles. That way, their only option is my pile...in my crosshairs.

Good suggestions I'll give it a try.

GG, the lack of bands and undamaged plumage lead me believe this was an non-captive bird. I've posted this in a NY forum and it's getting quite the buzz from guys with bird friends.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I did an ATN X-Sight II night vision scope demonstration in an open field with targets at 60yrds. and at 100yrds. along with a couple magnifications. (Note: I forgot to manually focus the scope at the 100yrd. target, so I may have been able to get that a little clearer) I doubt the video will be up for any Academy Awards this year, but it may help some of you in making a decision to purchase one or just resolve curiosities. Enjoy!

Hey Gobbler, great review. I know everyone really appreciates your effort. Good job on cutting out the fox target too.

Were you using the onboard IR?

The clarity looked pretty darn goid to my eyes. The zoom seemed to work very well also. I saw a YouTube video recently where the guy said that zooming was sluggish and took several seconds after pushing the zoom button. Your test seemed to do quite well and wasn't sluggish at all. The fox at 60 yards (representing the distance at my bait site) should work just fine for coyotes, for calling as well, and the 100 yard target probably is the standard for judging in the minds of most hunters. I also notice you don't have any flickering at all in the scope. Apparently you have the brightness set just right - medium if I recall correctly.

Your video review has made me even more anxious to get the scope. I should have it later this week.

Thanks so much for a great review.

6mm- that was the ir that came with the unit.The brightness level is set on medium, correct. I usually don't mess with the settings a whole lot, so I don't have the automatic "button touch" figured out - takes me awhile.
I'm sure you're anxious to get your scope.
New "toys" are always fun!!

Does the X-Sight power up quickly or is it slow?

You are right about new toys. I like trying different things. To me that's half the fun.

Originally Posted By: pmackOwen I have 2 piles going one about 125 yards and the other about 75 both just outside my dogs invisible fence. I had to pull the back camera yesterday to change batteries. This morning I had several fresh coyote tracks at that site, so maybe things are changing, it would only be the second coyote of the year.

Usually I have my hands on a road kill or 2 by now but haven't stumbled onto one so whatever comes in doesn't stay long. I've used butcher scraps in the past without any luck, what's everyone using, I've always relied on deer carcasses and road kill?

deer carcasses, or the occasional beaver carcass roadkill.

I checked my baitsite camera this evening around 4:00 PM and video revealed a rather large, brisseled-back coyote was there, tugging on the bone pile around noon to after 1:00 PM today. Another coyote visited a couple of nights ago. Problem is I don't know when I will have a chance to hunt, considering rainy weather in the forecast and a part-time job, plus family requirements. Would be nice to get the new X-Sight sighted in soon and go after him.

DU - WHAT are you feeding those yotes?? That one would have surely died from obesity had you not intervened. Lol
Good job!
6mm - Brissel-back will undoubtedly be hanging around waiting for you to try out the new scope. The zeroing in process is pretty darn cool but pick a distance you can definitely see the bullet hole through the target. You'll need that to make the cross hair adjustment. First time I tried, I set my target up in East Guam (too far). Ended up moving it in about 10 yards.

Last edited:
Good work DU!!! Very nice looking coyote!! On the videos...I'm still trying to get caught up on watching them, and looking very forward to them. Been dealing with some data issues on my satellite internet. Thanks to all for posting. GG, I'm looking forward to the yardage video you took the time to make. Thanks.

GG, we were calling a big duck camp on an island. They have a coyote problem and right now with all the crippled ducks in the marshes, it is very hard to call the coyotes because they have so much food available to them. That one was fat as butter. He was working the wind coming along the marsh edge where he could smell the crippled ducks. It was only about 50 yds to a large impoundment of several hundred acres as he was working toward us.

These coyotes are hard to get to because we have to go by boat, and they have managed to bust us twice before when we went after them. It was sweet revenge on this ol' fat boy last night. Here is the video. It isn't very clear as the humidity was very high and it was blowing a gale out there and cold as heck with that wind coming off the cold water.

Back