Suppressor decision for various calibers

kfin

I have a rimfire suppressor for my 10/22. Now since being on this site and taking up calling I want to get one for my other guns, at least my 223s.

Current gun line up that would possibly be suppressed, at least in the future is:

300 win mag, rarely shoot this one anymore, however any of you who have ever shot one knows it could benefit from having one lol

243, this is my deer hunting and now and then I'll shoot a coyote with it. Don't really need a suppressor for it but would be cool.
smile.gif

223, I have 2 of these. These are my calling guns, mainly coyotes.

I am getting ready to pick up another rifle in the next week. It will either be a 22-250 or 223 (I just like that caliber and like loading it). In the future I will probably pick up either a 204 or 17 Hornet.

All of these are bolt action guns as I have not taken the AR plunge yet and seriously doubt that I will.

In all likelihood I will be getting a TBAC Ultra 7. I don't want to get into a best caliber discussion or a best suppressor question. My biggest question is which size suppressor to get. None of my guns are threaded except for 1 of the 223s so I will have to do that also for anything I want to shoot suppressed.

Choice 1. I could get a 30 caliber one and use it for all of them right now (or a year from now lol). But wouldn't I be losing a lot of the noise reduction with it on the 223s?

Choice 2. I could get a 6.5 mm one and use it for everything except the 300 wm. If I went this route would I lose very much in the noise reduction on the 223s? It would fit the 243 but not the 300 wm but again, I rarely shoot that gun. If I did this the odds are heavy that the 300 wm would never be suppressed as I would probably get the 223 can in a year or two.

Choice 3. This one that I think I like the most is to get a 223 sized can now and use it on the guns I use the most. It would also fit any of the future purchases I'm thinking of now (22-250, 204, 17 Hornet) but wouldn't fit on the 243. If I did this, I could later get a 30 caliber one to use on the 2 bigger rifles and really wouldn't be that concerned about how much I lose using a 30 caliber can on a 243...

In a perfect world I would just get all 3 but that isn't going to happen. I'm sure many of you have wrangled with this decision. What did you do? Were you happy/pissed? Wish you had done something else? If so, what would you have done differently.

Sorry for the long post but you guys know your stuff and have the experience that I am lacking on this one.

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences.

i have and use a 30 caliber suppressor for everything from my 308 down to my 204.

it does fantastic with the small stuff, i'm sure i'm losing some efficiency, but its still respectable and the 223 and the 204 it reallllly takes the edge off to where i all i use is light earplugs.

I find the replies interesting about simply getting a 30 caliber can and going about life. Not doubting you guys at all, and I'm sure they will work and I would be happy with one. Why do they make the smaller caliber ones then? Lighter? Some reduced noise from using a caliber specific can? Or just so we will all buy 4 or 5? lol

Just curious about the difference in using a 30 caliber can vs a 223 caliber can on my bolt action 223s.

Thanks for the replies. It's all appreciated.

Originally Posted By: kfinI find the replies interesting about simply getting a 30 caliber can and going about life. Not doubting you guys at all, and I'm sure they will work and I would be happy with one. Why do they make the smaller caliber ones then? Lighter? Some reduced noise from using a caliber specific can? Or just so we will all buy 4 or 5? lol

Just curious about the difference in using a 30 caliber can vs a 223 caliber can on my bolt action 223s.

Thanks for the replies. It's all appreciated.

In general, a .30 cal can will be larger. The increased size of the can makes up for the over-sized bore for the most part.

A dedicated can in .223 can be slightly quieter than a .30 cal can on the same .223 rifle. However the difference is slight and probably less than the difference between an average can and a great can.

When we first got into the Class III stuff we tested alot of different cans and found out that a 30 cal can on a 223 vs a 223 can on a 223 there was no difference that we could tell with our ears.
223 can is just smaller and lighter if thats all you wanted to use one on.
I wanted to be one and done so i bought a Yankee Hill Machine 7.62 Phantom SS. Hunted with it for years then splurged for the YHM 7.62 Phantom Ti that is half of the weight. It was worth every penny.
I use it on everything form 223 to 300WM.

I vote go 30 Caliber can and be done. Its amazing at the recoil reduction on the 300WM.

I would suggest getting a 30 cal can with something other than a direct thread mount, something like a Griffon Taper mount or similar from other manufacturers. That way you have one can that will handle any of your rifles from .204 through .300, and you only have to buy a mount for each rifle you want to use it on.

I run a TBAC ultra 7 30cal. on everything from .17 mach IV up to 30-338, No issues switch back and forth. whisper quiet on the sub 6mm's and awesome on the big guns.

Originally Posted By: gotspotsI run a TBAC ultra 7 30cal. on everything from .17 mach IV up to 30-338, No issues switch back and forth. whisper quiet on the sub 6mm's and awesome on the big guns.

If I were starting all over, this is exactly what I'd do, one TBAC Ultra 7 .30cal can and done.

Also, with regard to weight, a top quality suppressor like the Ultra series from TBAC weighs the same regardless if it's a .223 specific or .30 cal can. Actually, I'd be surprised if a Ultra 7 .30cal can didn't weigh just a tiny sliver less than a Ultra 7 .223 can due to the fact the hole is larger in the .30cal suppressor and there would be a tiny bit less material but even if there is any difference, I'm sure it's minuscule.

I am looking and considering cans also. I deally Id like one can for all my centerfire rifles.
Whats is a TBAC Ultra 7?
I own and shoot
Three .223 bolt rifles
One 22-243 Winchester (bolt)
One 6.5 Lapua (bolt)
One short barreled .308 (bolt)

Last edited:
I was in the same boat. Wanted to suppress everything from 5.56's and 308 AR's, 22-250 up to 280 in bolts (eventually 300WM). I wanted user serviceable and quick detach with the option of direct thread adapters.

I ended up going with a Griffin Armament Alpha and I've been extremely happy with that decision. It's a great suppressor with great db rating and tone.

I also dove into the Form 1 world. The GA muzzle devices fit nicely with these also, so that was a bonus and gives me more options.

I doubt you would notice the difference in sound reduction between a .30 can and .223 can on your smaller riffles.

You will likely notice the difference in the length and possible weight first.

Great responses guys, thanks a ton. I believe the decision has been made. I need to just get a 30 caliber one to use for everything. I can add another later if I think that I just have to have one. Not totally decided on which one to get, still leaning toward the Ultra 7 but not sure. I should be able to get it ordered and start the "wait" sometime in the next month.

Thanks again

I have an SRT titanium 223 can and a 30 cal can. If I screw the 30 cal can on my 22250 and shoot it then change to the 223 can I cannot tell the difference in sound. Also use the 30 on all rifles from 300 WM to 17 fireball. Point of impact is straight down few inches with al. Important question to ask when getting a can is what is point of impact change with YOUR can. If they start talking technical crap about how smart they are, or cant give you a direct answer just call Doug at SRT.

Originally Posted By: doggit If they start talking technical crap about how smart they are, or cant give you a direct answer just call Doug at SRT.

LMAO isn't that the truth...

Buy a 30 cal and use it for everything. The 30 cal turns a .223 into roughly a .22 for sound. Bullet hit is more noticeable than the blast of the rifle

Last edited:
Back