Baiting

Great job, the 2 of you! Tag team, I'd say.lol. This cold snap has forced me to stay in at night as well. Started a small pile in back of my house, since Mr. Red showed up at my turkey pen at 7:10 this morning.
mad.gif

Happy 2018 to everyone!

Last edited:
Nice job baitpile.

I haven't been to the farm to check my camera for a while. Seems I have been so busy lately with family and a part time job that I just haven't had time. Coyotes may be hitting my bone / carcass pile due to the cold front. I need to get back in the saddle soon.

Got a technical question for anyone who might know the answer. How can you determine the sight height, that is the distance from bore center to scope center, without calipers? If even this is possible.

Ha...DU...I do the same exact thing!!! Just did a crow at the 130 yd with my 6.5 Creedmoor. The wait for a coyote is excruciating!!

gg, Good question. I generally use a caliper, but even then a guess. Where I can reach the bottom of the scope tube with the caliper still puts you somewhere over the receiver or chamber area of the action. So, I go from the bottom of the scope tube (that's a 1/2 inch on a 1" tube) and try to eyeball the center of the bore, or about where it should be. Generally in the 1.5 - 1.75 inch range. All of the ballistic calculators require this dimension for the calculations. I generally come pretty close. So, to answer your question, I am not one that knows, but that's how I have done it and got by. Is there a right way???

Originally Posted By: azmastablastaJim,welcome to the forums. You have not seen a thread regarding baiting because very few predator hunters use bait. There would be very few posts in a specific forum. There is an occasional post about baiting once a year or so, just doesn't seem to be much interest. When there is such a post it seems to be on a ranch where they drag out dead cows or sheep and pile them up. For most of us baiting is too restrictive. As a rule we like to run and gun.ymmv.

This was the 4th response to Cougar Jim way back in 2010 when he began this thread on baiting. It is funny that this thread has 3,944 replies and 8,659,011 views. Pretty good for something that no one would be interested in. I have found the posters in this thread to be the most helpful of any group on PM and without all the bashing contests that seem to erupt most everywhere else on here.

Thanks to all of you who made this thread a success, and have supplied helpful information for those who have questions. Special thanks to Cougar Jim for starting it all those years ago. Haven't heard from him in several years. Last I heard his wife was in serious condition and if still alive he would be pushing 80 now. I reckon we'll always be the redheaded step children of the PM Forums.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterGot a technical question for anyone who might know the answer. How can you determine the sight height, that is the distance from bore center to scope center, without calipers? If even this is possible.

GG I'm not sure how critical the sight height is to the calculator. I just use the tape and eyeball method. If you play with the scope height numbers in the calculator you can see how it effects calculations. I varied the scope height by a half inch, going a 1/4 inch low then high the 100 yard zero changes by less than 1/4 of an inch, the near and far zeros only varied by 6 or 7 yards.

The calculator worked well with standard scopes for me but using it with my Photon the numbers didn't seem to correlate. I would use the near zero to get me on paper but would always have to make elevation adjustments at 100 yards to finalize my zero.

DU my bait pile is under 2" of snow so it's been slow. Even the crows can't find it, but they have in the past.

DU that's some fine shooting with the Photon, those videos were pre-Photon, haven't attempted crows with the Photon.

These make good practice too....which I need

Baiting fills the void when I can't get out calling. It's become a ritual. Every morning my lab's ears perk up when she hears me pull the SD card from the computer, she looks forward to checking the cameras and I can tell by her reaction if I've had a canine visitor before see the pics on the camera. I have enjoyed this thread and those that post here immensely and look forward to everyone's posts.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, again, the work thing has to go!!! I wasn't out the driveway for 5 min this morning, I get a text...coyote on the 130 yd bait. My boy shoots it with my .22-250. Now, he goes back to college tonight. And...I'm off the next three days!!! Let the real games begin!!!!
2adam1-7 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr
130 yd site with .22-250. 40 gr vmax.
2adam1-7 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Good job!!! My turn now!!!

This one was pretty dark compared to what usually rolls through. We will occasionally have a dark one though. Thanks guys!! I'll pass the congrats on to him...did I mention he went back to college?? MY TURN NOW!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

pmack, That's good stuff!! Glad to know somebody else is/has experienced the "I got one" while at work!!! It's all good!!! I have as much fun when the kids shoot em as me!!!!

GG I'm not sure how critical the sight height is to the calculator. I just use the tape and eyeball method. If you play with the scope height numbers in the calculator you can see how it effects calculations. I varied the scope height by a half inch, going a 1/4 inch low then high the 100 yard zero changes by less than 1/4 of an inch, the near and far zeros only varied by 6 or 7 yards.

The calculator worked well with standard scopes for me but using it with my Photon the numbers didn't seem to correlate. I would use the near zero to get me on paper but would always have to make elevation adjustments at 100 yards to finalize my zero.

gg, Good question. I generally use a caliper, but even then a guess. Where I can reach the bottom of the scope tube with the caliper still puts you somewhere over the receiver or chamber area of the action. So, I go from the bottom of the scope tube (that's a 1/2 inch on a 1" tube) and try to eyeball the center of the bore, or about where it should be. Generally in the 1.5 - 1.75 inch range. All of the ballistic calculators require this dimension for the calculations. I generally come pretty close. So, to answer your question, I am not one that knows, but that's how I have done it and got by. Is there a right way???

Baitpile and pmack, thank you for your response. I feel a little better knowing the sight height for calculations is not that extremely critical. I will do my best though to measure.

Another congratulations to baitpile Jr., for his take on a nice coyote.

Outstanding gg!!! Very nice looking red!!!Warmed up around here for a few days...40ish...lost all of our snow. Now, the bottom is falling out again with -35* windchills this weekend. Hopefully this will kick start the coyotes again!! Stay after em!!!

Update on the slip on scope 3D night vision unit - It went back. Yup, major issue as stated earlier with the FOV and also clarity. Also did not like all the light wash from the viewing screen. A few other smaller issues but hey, at least I gave it a try. SOOOO, I ended up with the ATN x-sight II HD 3X14 with external battery. So far so good. I'm pleased with the increase in FOV and the clarity - amazing to me! I can see in the dark!! Have not had a chance to actually hunt with it as I just sighted it in today.
Any of ya'll have or have used this particular nv scope? Any insight/ tips/suggestions/comments appreciated.
Thanks. gg

Back