Prime Rib

tripod3

A friend stopped by yesterday and gave me a prime rib that they didn't cook for Christmas. It needed to be cooked and over 8 lbs was way to much for me to be greedy with.
I called a couple others to share. Made a rub and put sea salt over that. Seared it then cooked.
It was so good we could barely stop eating it. Worse is I forgot the pics.
So five total nearly wiped out the whole thing. This is all that's left. Now my friend is a good friend.
thumbup.gif

[img:center][/img]

Looks good.
I wonder if prime rib would be good cooked in a smoker.
Ever cook it that way?

I did a pork shoulder before Christmas that turned out good. No pictures though.

Did you know that if the meat isn't USDA certified Prime it technically not PRIME rib? Haha!
Looks tasty none the less.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistLooks good.
I wonder if prime rib would be good cooked in a smoker.
Ever cook it that way?

I did a pork shoulder before Christmas that turned out good. No pictures though.

I have not but had a friend that was past the learning curve on his Traeger and he did a superb job. Picking the right flavor of pellets helps.

Quote:Did you know that if the meat isn't USDA certified Prime it technically not PRIME rib? Haha!
Looks tasty none the less.

This was part of a conversation tonight. I had no idea til then and rarely get prime rib anyway.

Prime rib or rib roast is usually too expensive here for me. A few weeks ago I came across some on sale in one of the chains.I seldom buy meat anywhere except from my local butcher in town, but this was labelled AAA certified Angus Beef.

I bought a half dozen and cooked the smallest, [3 pounds] on Wednesday. It is as good as it gets.

I rub it both sides with garlic infused olive oil, and then dry spice rub.Preheat oven to 500F Place the roast in the oven for 5 minutes per pound. 3 lb roast= 15 minutes. Shut the oven off and leave it closed for 2 hours....NO PEEKING!!! The roast is perfect.

Love prime rib. We generally have that for the Christmas family dinner. Got a 10 pounder this year at the local butcher shop for $50. and they threw in a apple pie
smile.gif
Next years prime rib is out in the pasture
smile.gif
Cooking it right is the secret and the above posts are right on target.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogPrime rib or rib roast is usually too expensive here for me. A few weeks ago I came across some on sale in one of the chains.I seldom buy meat anywhere except from my local butcher in town, but this was labelled AAA certified Angus Beef.

I bought a half dozen and cooked the smallest, [3 pounds] on Wednesday. It is as good as it gets.

I rub it both sides with garlic infused olive oil, and then dry spice rub.Preheat oven to 500F Place the roast in the oven for 5 minutes per pound. 3 lb roast= 15 minutes. Shut the oven off and leave it closed for 2 hours....NO PEEKING!!! The roast is perfect.

That's interesting math for that size. Mine was over 8 1/4 lbs so after rubbing, seared 15 mins at 450 then lower to 350 for 105 mins or 13 mins per pound.
Forgot internal meat thermometer check 125 deg.
Rub I concocted at the spice cabinet.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Rubbed and poked in with fork.

Quote:Love prime rib. We generally have that for the Christmas family dinner. Got a 10 pounder this year at the local butcher shop for $50. and they threw in a apple pie smile Next years prime rib is out in the pasture smile Cooking it right is the secret and the above posts are right on target.

I didn't get an apple pie.

Last edited:
I've used this method for larger rib roasts as they usually are more than the 3 pounder. Always comes out great. 5 minutes per pound at 500F shut it off and leave it for two hours. The toughest part is the no peeking rule. LOL

I really like a chuck roast too, but I cook them low and slow in my cast iron dutch oven. Maybe I'll try the 500F method.

Oh yeah I bought some granny Smith apples for pie at Christmas but never got them built. I do them this weekend for New Years instead of my birthday cake. lol

Last edited:
That looks awful good. My taste buds are stuck on high after one the other night.
May add garlic to the rub next time.

Y'all are talking prime rib and I'm canning elk. Something ain't quite right here. I guess with the cost associated with hunting out here, quantity makes up for quality...or taste in this case.

I've used the same method as Redfrog for years when cooking standing rib roasts. Perfect medium rare. Key is don't touch the door.

Last edited:
I love prime rib. The best that I have ever eaten came from the gas station in Interior, South Dakota. It was cooked in a roaster oven. I have never cooked one myself but yall have talked me in to it.

Well boys there's still something new in the world . at least for me.I use cast iron everyday for cooking. On one of the cast iron sites someone posted a pic of a chuckeye steak. WHAT??? a chuckeye steak.
There are only two on a cow, one on each side. It is cut from the 5th rib, so between a rib eye steak and a chuck steak.

Looks like a boneless rib eye with more fat in it. I asked my butcher about it and he'd never heard of it but had just cut a chuck roast starting at the 5th rib. I got him to cut a nice thick steak off it.

It was about 2 lbs. I heated the cast iron fry pan added some olive oil and seared the steak top and bottom and all around the edge.took maybe 90 seconds.

Then I seasoned it and put it in the preheated 500F oven for 10 minutes.
It turned out amazing. It is on my permanent steak list now

Back