E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges

Thanks for doing this snowcamoman! This is greatly appreciated by everybody. This will also be a useful tool for someone looking to purchase their first e-caller.

Most Excellent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Kinda looks like the power lines will affect your remote ranges.

snow

Awesome work. I'm sure that took a LOT of time. Looks like a fair and complete test. I do have a question/test if you have time to run it (if you haven't already).

Could you figure out a test for "non-line of site" for the remotes. Possibly put the units behind a small ridge or hill and then test the yardage effectiveness? Just curious, but thanks for all the hard work.
Doc

Thanks. Interesting info.

Looks like all the ranges were achieved with the caller elevated off the ground.

How about one more test.

Electronic caller on the ground and hunter/operater on his butt on the ground operating controls. Call it the "AP" method.

AP

AP,
I'm heading out on wednesday evening to test "loudness" dB's. I'll run the AP method through and post results.
CoyoteDoc,
There is lots of mining activity where I'll be heading on Wednesday too. I'll set the callers behind the tailing piles and let you know what ranges I get. Is there a particular height of hill you're looking for? Most of the tailing piles are 10-20 foot high?

I noticed the links above to the FCC websites for the companies is not working. Try this one and then under applicant name, type

FoxPro to find FoxPro's applications
Wildlife Technologies for WT's applications
Argusteam Enterprise for Western Rivers Remote applications

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

If that doesn't work try

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

and then click on the link at the bottom that says "Equipment Authorization Search"

That will take you to the page where you can type in the applicants name to find information.

snowcamoman,
Sounds like you are doing a great job!

One question I have sir is the responsiveness of the volume? How fast does the volume go up or down? I think that to be fair it would need to be the whole range of the callers volume? Just a thought. I use callers this way on stand.

Thank you for all you time and hard work regarding this test.

Interesting that the power lines and such degrade the signal and transmittting though brush doesn't effect as much.
Also all did way beyond where I'm setting the call from me unless I'm calling GRIZZ.

LEN

Cougarbait,
I noticed during testing that at the further ranges, there is a delay in signal transmission. I could run each caller through a silent to full volume if you want and give you a time for each. The FoxPro's, Bandit, and Predation all have a continuous volume adjustment you could say. I mean that you hold the button and the volume increases as it is held. I believe the FoxPro's have 100 steps in theirs and I'm not sure what the Predation and Bandit have. The Wildlife Technologies caller has preset volumes that you push buttons 1-6 to change. Number 1 being the quietest and 6 the loudest. So the time to go from the quietest to fullest volume on the WT would be as fast as you could push the two buttons. I'll time the others at say 10 yards through the full volume for each. If you need something different let me know and I'll try it out for you.

Len,
I was surprised at how the power lines effected the range too. And these weren't what I would classify as "Major" powerlines. I'll get a photo of the area posted soon along with all other testing area photos and remote photos.

Excellent testing snow. I appreciate all the work you are doing to provide some accurate and unbiased field tests. I will be watching this closely.

I am impressed that the Predation was going 400yds past the posted range capability.

Very Nice Snow.
I'd like to take the thread, remove the replies, leaving your posts only and place it out front in the tech section or even the Review Section....when your finished.

Snow,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know the WT had the presets on the volume. I could imangine that the longer ranges would cause a dely. I think that the closer range is fine. Most hunting situtions are going to be between 30 and 80 yards. Not the 400+ that it seems as most are doing. I'm all ready impressed with the data that you have given sir.

Thank you for your ear. I look forward to the rest of your results!

I have all the callers and have never got lucky enough to get that kind of range with any of them including my favorite, FoxPro. I guess different areas give different results.

SteveM

I hear ya on that, my 416 wont work at 30 yards if there is so much as a twig between the remote and the caller. Now that I bring that up I am going to call them tomarrow.

That is interesting information on your 416 Furhunter and SteveM. I was even able to use the FX3's remote to operate the 416B at the same distances. As you can see though, various variables effect the ranges like the powerlines, houses etc. I'll continue to try some remote areas this winter where there is nothing around for miles and miles except white snow and trees. This will be the "Remote Range at -30 below testing."
Cougerbait,
I'll run the timed volume testing at say 50 yards and report my findings. It's super windy here this evening and I'm hoping it dies down for tomorrow's loudness dB testing. If not, I'll have to wait on the loudness testing. I'll run the AP test, CoyoteDoc test and the timed volumes if the wind continues to howl tomorrow. I'll get a huge photo post this weekend with all sorts of detailed photos of the remotes, areas used to test and other stuff.
RiverRunner,
Feel free to do with this information as you see fit. It's for everybody to see and use as a tool when deciding on what caller will work best for them.

snow
10 feet should be plenty. I was just mostly wondering about the back side of a ridge or hill. Not necessarily the very bottom, but just over the top. Thanks

Back