Do coyotes see hunter orange?

weekender

I know deer don't seem to see it, I KNOW turkeys do see it.

What about coyotes? I read somewhere about a guy calling coyotes in a Santa Clause suit for kicks but seriously, do coyotes see hunter orange as danger?

Someone just posted pictures of what a coyote sees when looking at hunter orange. I’m not sure where the post is but hopefully someone can post the link up.

I've called several in wearing a hunter orange coat to within 100 yards of me. I know at least one should have seen me. It was looking right at me at 75 yards when I shot it in the chest.

I remember that day very well. It was cold and spitting frozen rain on me the whole time.

I don't know if they do but I'm gonna have to assume not. I rarely wear camouflage either. I think being still is more important than what you wear.

Last edited:
If you look at the very top of your screen there is smaller print that are underlined click on Members Arcticles and there is a deal in thee about canine color vision. Check it out.

If coyotes could see the color then they must like it because I have had many of them stare me down for way too long at less than 10 ft, then walk off.

To the best of my knowledge, canines don't actually see everything in black & white. They have 2 of the 3 types of cone cells that we do. Their color vision is more akin to an extreme case of red-green colorblindness in humans.

Rich Higgins did a very good pod cast with dog soldier few years back think it was three episodes long but man does that guy knows his stuff. I learned so much about the coyote anatomy from him. Well worth checking out imho.
Rich Higgins says they see in the blue spectrum. Coyotes are color blind to greens and reds which they see as shades of blues or grey.

Wasn't it Gerry Blair that used to call AZ song dogs while wearing a santa suit just to prove a point that sitting still is far better than what you are wearing?

Watch some of the Made For Killing hunts. They rarely dress in any camo and sometimes are sitting right in the open. It seems more to do with movement than anything else.

Last edited:
dont know if they can see colors.

i do know you can pretty much wear what you want and dont move and they probably wont pay any attention to you.

on the other hand, wear what you think is the best possible camo and move, and they will see you.

Back