Baiting

I've never seen anything that looked like that before. After watching it closely there was actually three pieces that were blown up into the sky and fell back down. Glad I caught it on film.

Originally Posted By: weekenderI think you "nuked" that one.

Yep, that was something. Amazing power. Nice job DoubleUp.

I been playing cat-n-mouse with this dog for weeks but I ended the game yesterday evening at 4:15 at the bait pile. Out foxed him at 30 yards. I freshened up all my bait sites today with deer carcasses, so we'll see if that creates anymore interest. At least this season, so far, the temps have been much cooler than last year making the bait last longer. Birds are still problematic though - eagles, hawks, buzzards and such.
Sorry, but the Flickr phone app will not allow me to copy the ubb code just the link.
https://flic.kr/p/D2MXJv

I've got a question for ya'll, has anyone seen this slip-on scope 3D Night Vision product that's available. It reminds me of something similar to 6's homemade night vision setup. I was considering ordering it, but wanted to get those with night vision experience feedback first. Two pluses I saw was that the unit can be moved from one gun scope to another and it has a 30 day money back guarantee. The videos using it appear to be good. Still, I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thank you and I hope this link works. ?
https://www.3dnightvision.com/store/p9/Slip_on_Night_Vision_for_Rifle_Scopes_30_DAY_MONEY_BACK_GUARANTEE%21%21%21__.html

Shot large boar Coon last night as he was grabbing bait (spoiled Salmon) I put him in open hole where I have been baiting and have seen occasional Coyote. Will the Yotes eat him? I hit him with .17 WSM Rimfire at 100 yards, DRT.

Congrats on getting the coon Retired Shark. The area I hunt in has so few coyotes, though sightings are increasing each year,I can't answer your question for sure. I would guess yes, that a coyote would eat about anything if hungry. I know others on this site can say for sure.

So I'm new to baiting and I have had a deer carcass out for two weeks now and nothing has touched it except for a couple of birds. It's been very cold here. Any thoughts on how to spice up a bait pile?

Originally Posted By: srmmaineSo I'm new to baiting and I have had a deer carcass out for two weeks now and nothing has touched it except for a couple of birds. It's been very cold here. Any thoughts on how to spice up a bait pile?

Assuming you have coyotes in the area, you just need time for them to find it. You might even pour blood up high on vegetation or trees to help the odor get out better. Also, I have had carcasses out since October and only had a couple of coyote visits. One thing certain about baiting is that nothing is certain. It's not always as easy as a lot of people think.

The main thing is to keep the site baited all the time, even if you only use small pieces of table scraps. I tend to think a bait site becomes more or less "established", probably by the smell of the bait as well as scent from other coyotes and animals, and that coyotes in general learn where it is. Even if you don't shoot one that visits, he will remember next time he is in the area, and he may just bring a friend.

Coyotes sometimes find the bait, then not return for a while. Then again they might visit the following night. You never know for sure so you just have to be prepared to hunt after your trail camera reveals activity.

Thank you so much for that. I'll be a little more patient and also do as you say and stoke it from time to time and spread a little blood around!

gg, the slip on night vision looks interesting. I can't speak to any experience with it. Reading the description, I'm curious what kind of range it has. I know it goes on the day scope, but as far as the light and its ability for clarity at say...150 yds??? Let us know if you give it a whirl. Looks very interesting!!
RetiredShark, congrats on the coon!! We hammer a few of those as well on the bait. Sell the hide and stayed tuned up!! As far as leaving it on the bait pile, I remove them. That and the possums, crows, and other such vermin we kill. I don't really know for sure if it inhibits the pile, but my thinking, for me anyway, is that I like to keep the pile as natural as possible. Meaning,I use roadkill deer, once they find the deer, it is natural, and just another deer in the woods. It seems the birds like the coon and possum way more than the coyotes do. I take the coon and possum carcasses onto another farm and pile them up there. The birds go crazy, but have never really had coyote action on them. Also, the coyote carcasses go to the coon pile. No real scientific data here, just how I do it.
srmmaine, agree with 6mm. It may take some time for coyotes to find and get comfortable with the bait. I may shoot a coyote on the bait, then wait a month. Trail cams have shown coyotes running nightly right passed our bait without stopping. They know it is there...almost like, okay, that's a secure meal, I'll save that for when I really need it. It will happen, just on there schedule!! Hang in there...it is a blast!!

One more thought on the bait...when you think about a deer shot and tracked the next morning only to find the coyotes have eaten the entire hind quarters, that is a fresh, warm, wounded deer, with NO HUMAN SCENT on it. I think when baiting, we are placing an animal that may be frozen, several days aged so to speak, and lots of human scent on the animal and in and around the baiting area. This scent will take time to dissipate and get back to natural environment. I think this is also a reason it sometimes takes weeks for things to get active. Just some thoughts and things we have experienced over the years. May all be superstition!! Stay after em!!!

BP...excellent thought and it's funny I was thinking about that. Came upon a kill a couple of years ago and there was a little off the backside that morning. The next morning...24 hours later...was picked clean. So I thought about that related to this bait pile and thought something is odd here. I think your thoughts are good ones on why the difference.

How blessed we are to be able to go afield with our guns in pursuit of predators and game during this holy time of year. May each of you and your loved ones remain safe, well, and happy in holiday spirit.
God bless and Merry Christmas!!

Back