6.5 creedmoor

Gcharles8907

Anyone have any recipes for reloading 6.5 creedmoor? Looking to do as little fur damage as possible but still get a quick kill on coyotes and fox. Longest distance Iid shoot is around 200

Good luck with that, esp the fox.
grin.gif

I'd give the 130 TMK Sierra a look, thinking it won't open too much.
I've shot paper using H4350, CFE223, and H100V under the 130 TMK.
The H100V gave most fps in my 6.5CM RAP of 2824 fps
(COL 2.820", 43.1 gr of H100V, WLR, HDY brass) ymmv
You may not want that much fps/energy, need to find a lower node that is accurate in your rifle.

I've shot quite a few coyotes with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Both with 123s and 143s Amax/elds. The 143eldx has been a little bit more fur friendly than the 123 but I still blow big holes more often than not. I don't think your going to save any fox hides no matter what bullet you choose.

Yea. Ima fan of the Hornady bullets from when I used some A-Max for he 308 I used to own. I’m really just wanting to save one so can get the hide as a “trophy” of sorts.

120 grain Nosler ballistics tip hunting bullet is accurate and deadly in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been using Varget with this load.

Never seen or heard of anyone running the 95gr Vmax's in a CM, but think it would be worth a look.

I have killed a few with a 123gr SST from my Grendel and the results were NOT fur friendly. Just thinking 120gr+ bullet from a CM is going to be devastating for trying to save fur.

How long is your barrel and what is twist? If shorter barrel you may try loading subsonic. Also if twist is not too tight look at the lower grain match bullets. The eldm's don't seem to expand on light bodies, just a small entry and exit hole. Your shot needs to hit vitals to limit the run distance.

I am very interested in the performance of the 95 grain v max. I imagine it would shoot like a laser out to a certain distance but I am wondering where it will fall on its face. i have 143 eld-x right now but I am considering a lighter round for coyotes

120gr GMX by Hornady is your best bet. I think you would have first sized holes out the back side of any coyote using a thin jacketed bullet. You’d be better off IMO to use a solid bullet that expands very little. The 120gmx is a great bullet and will pass right on through.

I’ve made handloads using 95gr Vmax that Shot 5/8” at 100 yds. I have a couple dozen loaded up for prairie dogs. Speed was 3386fps and they aren’t pushed that hard. I figured they would destroy a coyote.

I think the closest you are going to get to a fur friendly 6.5 load is if you wear a fur coat while you sit at your reloading bench.:)

Originally Posted By: BgolladayI am very interested in the performance of the 95 grain v max. I imagine it would shoot like a laser out to a certain distance but I am wondering where it will fall on its face. i have 143 eld-x right now but I am considering a lighter round for coyotes

I can vouch fo them not being fur friendly. My buddy shot a fox with them a couple years back. Accidentally gut bagged him and took that section of him out. If it hit bone it would have been a disaster. SOMEHOW, the taxidermist was able get everything put back into place. I can try to dig up pics if needed.

Back