Fav 223rem coyote bullet?

After trying many different bullets with varying degrees of success, I’ve settled in on the Nosler Varmageddon 62 gr HP. It puts them down and they don’t get back up.

I dont know Winny, seems like some doubt its killing ability. We have killed a small semi load of hogs, dogs, and deer with it though. I would have tried the 60s but shooters pro shop had 55s for 114 dollars for 1000.

We killed a lot of coyotes with a 223, bolt guns, 788's, rem 700's. These were usually our calling rifles so shots were usually 225yds and under. We tried about every bullet you can imagine as we hunted in a target rich environment.

The Sierra 45g spt is a great little bullet, so is the 50g spt.

Other than the 45g & 50g Sierra spt, We ended up shooting a few different bullets that seemed to always work. Of the 55g bullets, Hornady 55g spt with the cannalure does an excellent job and is a very accurate bullet. The Sierra line of 55's, EXCLUDING the blitz king, and we loved the 55g Winchester soft point. Any of these 55g bullets loaded with about 26-27g of Win 748 will be very accurate and deadly at approximately 3100 fps.

Through this site, a fellow board member shared a load of Benchmark that is pushing the 53g-55g Bullet at 3500 out of a 24" bolt gun using benchmark and a cci 450 primer that ended up being critical.

We shot the biggest holes in coyotes with the 223 using a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz with a muzzle velocity of about 3350, and I mean the shock and damage on a coyote is Massive, very accurate bullet also. Today, I would try that 55g Sierra lead tip blitz with a hot load of Benchmark and a cci 450.

Today, there are a lot more bullet choices than we had from the late 70's to mid 90's. I like penetration to break bones on quartering shots, so the 60g V max would be on my list of bullets to try today.

We really hated not killing a coyote outright, and you rarely ever get a perfect shot. For this reason, I like the 55g bullets. It is terrible to see a bullet blow up on a hip joint, shoulder blade, or splash on a rib. If you hit one running away from you, the bullet has to travel through a lot of bone and flesh to get to the vitals.

If you like a light bullet going fast, two bullets we used were the 40g Sierra HP that was developed for the LAPD Swat teams to shoot through a man's skull and not kill anyone on the other side in a 22/250. The other bullet that you should really treat yourself to is the Sierra 45g spt, we named this bullet mighty mouse because it will shoot through bones, and AA2015 will shoot these bullets with blistering speed(3700) with extreme accuracy. We quit using them because in Nv. the shots could get on the long side, and they seemed to run out of gas around 350 yards.

One poster said to just get a 223 and some bullets and go kill some coyotes, that is pretty much dead nuts right on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandy hicksI dont know Winny, seems like some doubt its killing ability. We have killed a small semi load of hogs, dogs, and deer with it though. I would have tried the 60s but shooters pro shop had 55s for 114 dollars for 1000.

You can't take what you read on the internet too seriously in a lot of cases.
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

What works for you - works for you.
thumbup.gif

Ive had good luck with the 55gr nosler varmegeddeon tipped version. Also have used the 50gr vmax and 52gr speer hp flat base that was already mentioned. Altough i got a few spinners with the vmax. The hollow point cavity oon the speer 52 is enormous and it works well.
Any of the 50/55gr soft points will also do a great job, though id not pick rem or win brand myself, id go sierra/speer or hornady

My #1 first grab out of the safe yote getter is my 223AI. It has a 22in. Hart 1-9tw barrel and it loves the 53gr Vmax. Whether it's in fully formed cases or fireforming, either, shoots crazy good and usually better than the guy pulling the trigger.

I've killed a lot of coyotes with a .223 and 40gr BT's too.

My first choice is the Hornady 50 gr sx,normally out of my ar. But they and the Speer 52 hp shoot well out of my bolt guns, either one will plant a coyote with minimal fur damage.

Originally Posted By: Str8ShooterAfter trying many different bullets with varying degrees of success, I’ve settled in on the Nosler Varmageddon 62 gr HP. It puts them down and they don’t get back up.

What's your load for this? I think I'm loading 23.0 gr of Benchmark and they cloverleaf...Not sure how fast they are going. This is out of a 1/10 twist Tikka T3 .223.

Originally Posted By: Hunt I think I'm loading 23.0 gr of Benchmark and they cloverleaf...Not sure how fast they are going. This is out of a 1/10 twist Tikka T3 .223.

Probably somewhere around 2975fps +/- a few fps.

Originally Posted By: HuntOriginally Posted By: Str8ShooterAfter trying many different bullets with varying degrees of success, I’ve settled in on the Nosler Varmageddon 62 gr HP. It puts them down and they don’t get back up.

What's your load for this? I think I'm loading 23.0 gr of Benchmark and they cloverleaf...Not sure how fast they are going. This is out of a 1/10 twist Tikka T3 .223.

I’m running 22.9 gr of Benchmark and Remington 7 1/2 primers. This load shoots great out of both of my 16” ARs.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanI like the 52 GR Sierra BTHP in any .224" bore diameter cartridge.

It's a great bullet accuracy-wise, and Sierra even advertises it as a target bullet, but it has great terminal performance also.

Yep....I shoot a lot of Rock chucks with the 52gr SMK in my 222...knocks the stuffing out of them out to 300 which is as far as I can hit one.
I used to shoot them in a 22BR too...great bullet.

Last edited:
Been around the world and back with bullets in .224

Settled in on the 60gr Hornady sp,Whack master of a bullet and accurate enough.

Back