Kirsch 2017 Video 1: 21 coyotes and more

Kirsch

Here is some recent video footage from my Pulsar Trail XQ38 scope, and my Pulsar Helion XP38 monocular. This is my first year with thermals, so be kind.

I love the Pulsars, but 2 pet peeves of mine are no audio yet, and RAV function recording only 1-3 seconds before shot. The really short clips are RAV pieces of footage. Up to this point, I have been hunting by myself (except a few stands), so the video isn't very complete. The videos will get better once my standard hunting partner can go hunting with me. Hope you enjoy watching as much as I did hunting.

Video

Ha! Blasted that skunk right up the bum.
w00t.gif
Cool vid. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasGreat video!!!!!! Is that a 384 resolution or 640? If you had to do it over again would you go with a 50?

Most of the video is with the Trail XQ38, so 384 resolution. My Monocular is the Helion XP38 (640 core). Is there a difference, the answer is yes. The 640 is a clearer/cleaner image. However, we have shot multiple coyotes past 300 yards with the XQ38. There is no issue with shooting coyotes with the XQ line as far as seeing the coyote. I opted for high res on the monocular. This is what you are using 90-95% of the time so I opted for better resolution on the scanner. The other big debate is native mag and field of view. When I first got the scope, I was thinking maybe I should have gone with the XQ50 as it has a 2.6 vs 2.1 native magnification. As I have used it to harvest 50+ coyotes with it, I think it is about perfect. The PIP really brings the coyote in close. If I went with the 50, I maybe wouldn't need the PIP as much but field of view may be too small. Only on a few occasions while hunting did I have any issue finding an approaching or running away coyote. I would buy the same scope if doing it again.

You will love either scope. Here are the comparisons statistically between all of the Trail models:

MODEL____PRICE___MAG____CORE_____FOV___DETECT
Trail XP50: $4999: 1.6x-12:(640 core): 12.4x9.3: 1800m
Trail XP38: $4449: 1.2x-9.6:(640 core): 16.3x12.3: 1350m
Trail XQ50: $3799: 2.7x-10.8:(384 core): 7.5x5.6: 1800m
Trail XQ38: $3299: 2.1x-8.4: (384 core): 9.8x7.4: 1350m
Trail XQ30: $2799: 1.6x-4 (384 core): 12.4x9.3: 900m

Between the two you are considering:
MODEL____PRICE___MAG____CORE_____FOV___DETECT
Trail XP50: $4999: 1.6x-12:(640 core): 12.4x9.3: 1800m
Trail XQ38: $3299: 2.1x-8.4: (384 core): 9.8x7.4: 1350m

The XP50 is going to have a wider field of view, better long range detection, and have a cleaner image. The detection to me is a mute point as I am using a monocular vs swinging the rifle back and forth. If you are using the scope as a scanner, then wide FOV and longer detection, may be an important factor.

The XQ38 is going to have .5x more native mag which can be a big deal for some, still have a good image as far you need to shoot, and costs $1700 less. If you wanted more native mag, you could go the XQ50 route, but at 2.7x it may be hard to find a hard charging coyote at times or getting on one after a miss.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Awesome! Great work. My old Apex XD50A doesn't have the built in recorder, but I found the only way for me to be sure to get the video was to turn the dvr on before I start the call. The RAV function would be nice if it would go back at least 30 seconds before the shot, but one of the things which has helped me is having the entire hunt recorded because sometimes I would forget what sounds I was playing.

Plus, I found that on the times when I messed up and missed, and then would have sworn that I was dead on at the shot, that the video in slow motion showed that I took a bad shot.

Originally Posted By: KirschHere is some recent video footage from my Pulsar Trail XQ38 scope, and my Pulsar Helion XP38 monocular. This is my first year with thermals, so be kind.

I love the Pulsars, but 2 pet peeves of mine are no audio yet, and RAV function recording only 1-3 seconds before shot. The really short clips are RAV pieces of footage. Up to this point, I have been hunting by myself (except a few stands), so the video isn't very complete. The videos will get better once my standard hunting partner can go hunting with me. Hope you enjoy watching as much as I did hunting.

Video

Kirsch, how do you activate the RAV function? I have an XQ38 and cannot find anywhere in the manual about activating it...thought I read where it was on the XQ38, but cannot find it, so figured I just was having a senior moment. Thanks

Gene

Press and hold the first button. As you press and hold, the options for camera, Video, and RAV are the icons. RAV is the icon that shows the video icon with the bullet behind it. If this is not an icon that comes up as you press and hold the record button, you may need to update your firmware.

Originally Posted By: KirschPress and hold the first button. As you press and hold, the options for camera, Video, and RAV are the icons. RAV is the icon that shows the video icon with the bullet behind it. If this is not an icon that comes up as you press and hold the record button, you may need to update your firmware.

I will check that out when the new battery gets here. Odd that the manual only says and shows the record function or picture function and never any mention of the RAV. I will check it out hopefully Saturday when battery arrives. I just purchased the scope a month ago...would think the latest firmware would have been installed, but maybe not. Thanks again Kirsch...glad to have someone who knows all this new technology to help us old illiterates out.
I guess my next question will eventually be...how do I upload the latest firmware if my scope doesn't exhibit the icon you mention? I assume connect with USB to PC and download from Pulsar website?

Gene

Gene,

You actually ask a really good question on the firmware. It is done via the Stream Vision Application. You download the firmware through the Stream Vision app, and then while it is connected to the phone it updates. The process is pretty easy. However, as I write this I started to think what if a person doesn't have a iphone or Droid smartphone? There hopefully is another way to do this via the PC but I am not sure how. If anyone is in this situation they will need to borrow a smartphone from someone or call Pulsar and ask if there is a manual workaround.

As far as RAV, it was added after initial release so it wouldn't have been in the manuals unless they update the manuals later which I am sure they do not do often, if ever.

Originally Posted By: KirschGene,

You actually ask a really good question on the firmware. It is done via the Stream Vision Application. You download the firmware through the Stream Vision app, and then while it is connected to the phone it updates. The process is pretty easy. However, as I write this I started to think what if a person doesn't have a iphone or Droid smartphone? There hopefully is another way to do this via the PC but I am not sure how. If anyone is in this situation they will need to borrow a smartphone from someone or call Pulsar and ask if there is a manual workaround.

As far as RAV, it was added after initial release so it wouldn't have been in the manuals unless they update the manuals later which I am sure they do not do often, if ever.
Well, I do have a smart phone but it is smarter than I am LOL. My wife seems to have more of a feel for the smart phone stuff so I think between her and I we can give it a go. Is there a particular "version" of the upgrade or is there only 1 upgrade version out there?

No, but I have a Night Stalker on order. I currently shoot with a versa-pod bipod. It works pretty well, so we will see which I end up using or both depending on calling situation.

Originally Posted By: DarknightHey Korey, nice videos. You shooting with a tripod?
I wasn't using a tripod on the video (a versa-pod bipod) but just received the Night Stalker from Night Goggles. Very impressed. Sitting, standing, kneeling, it really doesn't matter. I had a 1/4" hole tapped into the bottom of my AR-15 Hogue handguard, and put their quick connect plate directly on the guard with blue locktite. Connect it to the tripod in about 2 seconds, and really solid but plenty of movement with their ball-head as needed. Get a hold of Tom at Night Goggles if you are looking for a great setup.

bipod3.jpg

Originally Posted By: G AndersonIs there a particular "version" of the upgrade or is there only 1 upgrade version out there?
There have been a few firmware updates for the Pulsar Trail series since it was introduced. When you update, it will give you the latest version. The latest update included sound, 10 second RAV before video, and the ability to change the bottom menu brightness as some of the major changes. Since you may have an earlier version, RAV would be a new option as well.

Korey, you are speaking about your Trail XQ38 correct? So this is not confined to the XP series? Have you seen anyone indicate a problem with the Apex XQ38 or XQ50?

Back