Good year for bunnies!

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Looks like another banner year for rabbits here in the desert, both cottontails and jackrabbits. I'm very much looking forward to some good fall and winter hunts with the kids this year.

How's the population in your area?

My general AO, jacks seem to have been declining for a couple years now. Still a decent number around, but less than last year and that was less than the year before that.

- DAA

up here in Northern N.M. the rabbits are thick as flees! Just went out this morning and saw plenty of both. So of course I try'd rabbit sounds and called in 4 and bagged one, should have had 2 but as I was getting ready to pull the trigger I decided to look at the one in tow and sure enough it was a pup out following mom on a hunt. So I decided to watch for a while to see if I might learn a thing or two myself. Just about the time mom was starting to head towards my call coyote bait spotted her and the chase was on. I now know even with a pup in tow they will still come back looking for that darn dog in the area. Latter on, on the next set I called in a lone male (with rabbit sounds) and bagged this one. Man are they UGLY this time of year, hair all rubbed off and shows all their scares etc. Pretty maingy looking with out the mainge.

No jacks here only cottontail and snowshoe.
I'd love to stalk jack's with a .22 LR.

Snowshoe population around me was low last time was able to hunt them years ago, no idea what their like now.
Not much fun trying to hunt them when you use a cane to get around.

Out here on the Southern plains I have seen rabbits have three clutches of babies so far..

Going to be a lot if bunnies this year.:)

Snowshoes are on a rise here too! Last year I hunted hard and got only 2. This year looking for grouse I've got 4 snowshoes and missed just as many.

Originally Posted By: HalbachSnowshoes are on a rise here too! Last year I hunted hard and got only 2. This year looking for grouse I've got 4 snowshoes and missed just as many.

Sounds fun to hunt them there.

Back