My new favorite coyote rifle

Coyotejunki

Since I set up my Rem 700 6BR, I love the cartridge, but the rifle is a bit heavier and longer than I like for a calling rifle. I decided to mess with a Kimber Montana 243 I had. I went to a friends house and we setback the barrel and rechambered to 6XC. Shortened the barrel to 19", threaded 1/2x28 and installed my suppressor. Now this rascal feeds great and will almost do what a 243 will, and is on the heals of the 6BR for accuracy. When this barrel is toast, I'll put on a Brux or Bartlien and rechamber to 6 BR if I can make it feed, or XC again. The whole rig with the SWFA SS 6 power scope comes in at 7lbs 5 oz as shown.

i1dLm3hl.jpg

We just put it together yesterday and today was my first day shooting the rifle. At 100 it was making me happy, at 300 my groups fell apart and was only getting about 2-3" groups. I'm blaming the wind, yea the wind got me.
smile.gif
I will try a couple other powders, primers, and see what happens later. This load was pretty slow, about 6BR speed but I do have a short barrel on it.

You found the friend in Mo that I have been looking for. I hope i find him soon. I been toying with the 6XC idea and need to make it a reality.
smile.gif

I have been using the 6Br for a calling rifle since 1997. My first rifle was built as a single shot and weighs 11 pounds. Mt second 6Br is a 7 pound repeater that I did the Mike Bryant mag mod on. The XC may feed easier since it is a bit longer. Have fun with the short fat cartridge, if you miss you can't blame the gun.

I really like my 6BR. It has performed well out to 300 yds on paper with 75 gr V-MAX and 77 gr Lapua Open tip at 3100 fps. Its a 1:10 barrel so I need to keep my bullet weight in that range.

I love my 6xc's, I have a 10 twist I shoot 70gr blitzkings in and a 8 twist for the heavier bullets, the xc will make you forget the BR, no feeding problems and extreme accuracy.

What is laying to the right of the earmuffs? I too am a member of Montana-Aholics-Anaomas in 243. I rebarreled to a 1-12 Douglas. It goes 3200 with 87 Vmaxes. This will be my first season with them. Before I was Running the 88 bergers but wanted more explosive performance.
I have a bud that shoots F Class with the 6xc. It seems impossible how the tiny 6xc can duplicate the 243 w/less. But it does.
Nice rig! Now go blast some Yotes & post some pics!
smile.gif

Back