Baiting

so the weather here has been all kinds of funky here recently. we went from -13 to 44 degrees overnight which has also brought the snow level way down. i had a long lunch break today so i figured what the heck i may as well take a look (working at the ranch where the bait is located has its perks). I grabbed my 22-250 and walked out to the pit which is roughly 900 yards from where i park my truck. I didnt figure there would be many coyotes at the pit being sunny and warm so i didnt bother with camo this time. sure enough when i got to my shooting position i let out a few barks and nothing emerged from the open hole where the deadpit is located so i sat back and started playing with my new rangefinder.
just as i was about to get up and head back i saw a coyote on the hill to my far right who had come to investigate the barking that had disturbed him from his nap. the coyote presented me with a perfect front facing chest shot at 120 yards and i dont know if it was overconfidence at this "chip shot" or being in a hurry to get the shot off but at the last second i flinched and shot beside him!
so no trophy pics this time but i will show a pic of my shooting position.
the dark hill is where the 15 food deep pit is. any dead cows, calves or butcher scraps go into the pit and it is 150 yards from my shooting position.
Baitpile the gun im shooting in the pictures is my 20practical on a savage mod 12 action. i also shoot 222, 22-250 and 220 swift depending on my mood. i have had a few bad shots and runners lately so im going back to the 22-250 for a bit.

Nice passel of guns to play with. Some of the guns I use on my bait are .223, .243, .22-250, and .308. For the field I carry the .22-250, .243 or the .223 all on bipods. It is a blast. Stay after em!!!

Good job DoubleUp. Seems he couldn't make up his mind what to do and wanted to just sit and watch for a while. You made the decision for him - to rest a while longer. LOL.

Thanks 6, actually I didn't really want to take the head-on shot as not much room for error there, but I didn't want him to decide to run off like they sometimes do. Bullet hit him dead center in the chest and didn't do any damage at all. He had one drop of blood on his chest.

Last edited:
Double, the UBB was selected on the posting screen. The only option I have on Flickr is "share".
I have done it before, and they aren't going now for some reason. Course now, don't ever mistake me for a computer genius!!Dumped another coyote this morning!

First select the picture you want to share by double clicking on that picture. Then go down to the share icon on the lower right of the screen and click on it. That should give you four choices, Share, Embed, E-mail, BBCode. Select the BBCode and below that should be two boxes. One will be the code needed to copy and paste here, and the other will be for the size of the picture. Select the size, 640x480 works well, and then copy the URL and paste it in your post here.

Thank You Doubleup!! The format was just a little different, but I got it. I had to put the photos into an album from the camera roll to get the UBB option. What I also found out is that I was still using the "post image button". I tried it without that and just pasted in the post and it went. Good deal, now if I just remeber that
smile.gif
. Thank You again!! JH

Last edited:
That's what I shoot in mine also when I use it. They are loaded to about 3,750 fps. I usually don't get any exit with that combo using AR-Comp and a CCI 200 primer. I can get a bit more speed out of the 55 Nosler Ballistic Tips, but they seem to usually exit although not a big hole.

Good job Baitpile. I like your bait site range.

I have thought quite a bit about a Ruger Predator .243, especially given that it is threaded for a suppressor. What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Back