A Question for Atheists

Merdit

Why would an atheist try to convince someone else that God doesn't exist?

I'm not asking for proof He doesn't exist or reasons to believe or not. Just wondering the 'why' part.

Sub note:

If you are not an atheist, please don't answer with your opinion, just yet. Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MerditWhy would an atheist try to convince someone else that God doesn't exist?

I'm not asking for proof He doesn't exist or reasons to believe or not. Just wondering the 'why' part.

Sub note:

If you are not an atheist, please don't answer with your opinion, just yet. Thanks

Oops!
blushing.gif

I'll wait then.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerTo save a wretch like you

But why? Why would you bother with a wretch? Why would a wretch need saved?

Originally Posted By: MerditWhy would an atheist try to convince someone else that God doesn't exist?

I think the better question would be why do some theists try to convince someone else that their particular god (of which their are MANY) exists and why do they try to get people to conform to their beliefs? This is what gets me riled up. I guess if anything I'm fighting fire with fire in a sense as far as a reason for the "why". I would have no reason to do so if theists kept their beliefs to themselves and didn't try to force it upon the masses, especially when it encompasses the basis for them trying to make laws based upon their particular set of beliefs. Of course theists are quite effective at getting their objective done in most cases because they start heavily indoctrinating people with diminished reasoning and critical thinking skills, ie.....children.

If there were any credible modern day evidence of some sort of "god", I'd gladly reverse my stance as an atheist. But there is not, has never been, nor will ever be as far as I can reasonably and logically discern. I have looked for it extensively since I was preteen and have studied most major religions and their history over the last 30+ years. The rise and fall of many of the major religions that predate Christianity is quite interesting to say the least, especially since you can see how major portions of Christianity have been borrowed from previous established religions that predate it by thousands of years. I have read the bible cover to cover (in my teens) and have read good portions of the Koran as well. I'm not impressed to say the least.

If there is a god, he, it or whatever made me in such a way that being an atheist is the only path that makes any sense to me. What kind of god would do that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bad DawgPlease keep in mind that being ‘educated’ on religion has very little to do with having a relationship with God.

The only problem I have with atheism is you are applying a label to yourself. Labels do not belong on people. They belong on products. Wisdom needs an open mind in order to blossom.

1st off, being educated on religion makes it that much more difficult for me to be able to believe in any gods obviously, therefore a "relationship" with such an entity is also obviously out of the question. I believe the more educated a person is, the better choices they will make.

As far as any label goes, I don't see the word atheist as any sort of label so much as a definition.

Wisdom is a far cry from intelligence in my opinion. I have an open mind, but it takes evidence to form my beliefs, or lack of if you prefer. Most atheists like myself have one plain and simple solution to the god question......"evidence". Until actual evidence is presented, I see absolutely no reason to believe in the unbelievable. I'm much too rational.

IAyoteHNTR-

That's a real answer. I appreciate the time you took to post it, and your next response, as well. It provides me with more understanding, rather than my speculation. I hope more will answer honestly, as you have.

Bad Dawg-

I think you make a very good point. I don't recall reading of Jesus trying to force His beliefs on anyone. Most who encountered Him did so of their own volition.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgAgain, being educated has little to do with being rational.

Being educated is not the same thing as being intelligent. There are a whole lot of educated idiots around. See the majority of our House/Senate/President for great examples.
wink.gif

DifferenceBetween.net

Originally Posted By: Bad Dawg Evidence can be found in the people that have lived before us and are living amongst us. Faith on the other hand, is not and has never been evidence based. That is why it is called faith.

Rational people do not stereotype.

The evidence you speak of is not evidence, not even close.
lol.gif

You're right about faith though.

If people choose to live their lives based on mythology and faith, that's fine by me. I just wish they would keep it to themselves.

I myself can not live my life on faith (no evidence) and mythology. I just can't.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgAh, one more little tidbit of info for you to ponder. German culture has always been extremely educated. Many well known scientists, psychiatrists, doctors, physicists and psychologists are German. And what did the Germans do to the Jews in the 30’s-40’s? Yep, that’s right. Murdered many of them in cold blood. Men, women and children. You can say it was political. You can say it was religion. You can say it was Antisemitism. You can say it was anything you want. But, what you cannot say is that they were not ‘educated’. They were some of the most educated people of their time.

Again, being educated has little to do with being rational.

This is exactly the point. Whether we like it or not, history shows that human beings are vulnerable to being indoctrinated. Being self aware of this and relying on evidence and proof to back beliefs is the counter measure to this susceptibility.

Back