Any bowyers on this thread

I've got one Osage bow I made, I guess I got tired of carving the wood because it's 77lbs at full draw. I have several other osage blanks I have roughed out, they pretty much only need to start with the tillering.

What's your problem been with the two you messed up?

That looks good to me, as long as it's like that all the way up and doesn't have any knots or too much twisting in it.

I forget the exact terminology but I've been making them out of one piece of wood around 5 feet long, I don't remember if the one piece are staves or if the two piece you join at the handle are staves.

I've only used Osage Orange wood, I know other woods need to be treated a little differently.

There is a book written by a guy named Jim Hamm about making self bows and other Native American equipment.
Another good source of info is a three-volume set called “The Traditional Bowyer’s Bible”.

Lots of good information in all of them-everything from selecting staves to making arrows and other traditional equipment.

thumbup1.gif

Practice with lumber yard boards. It's cheaper to learn on.

Also, get the four volume set of the bowyer's bible. Loads of information there.

Good luck with it.

Back