Baiting

I got myself a Covert Blackhawk 12.1 wireless. Really speedy but should be awesome for early deer season and be very useful when I bait this winter. Working outta town and seeing trail cam pics when I'm outta town is going to be great

Had a little bit of luck last night though it was bitter-sweet. Two coyotes came to the bait site last night around 9:00 PM. I shot one and the other quickly ran through the view of the scope, so I bolted another round and swung on it. It got into tall weeds and I couldn't shoot. When I panned back to where I shot the first one, it was gone. Bad mistake I guess. I should have stayed on the first one but I thought the shot was good. To top it off, the DVR didn't record the shot even though I had it turned on. The remote switch didn't work for some reason.

I used my home-made night vision build and the CZ 527 17 Remington shooting 25 gr. Hornady HPs. Distance was 60 yards. The 17 Rem really anchors them, which surprised me to have that one get away.

Around 5:20 AM this morning the alarm sounded again and the other coyote returned. This one wasn't so fortunate.

Here you can see a view of the bait site from my cabin porch. The coyote is at the upper end of the site, near the hay field. It was a rather large male, though young. I have been watching these two coyotes for some time now. They are probably the most skittish so far, very nervous at the site.

36354742443_4e2619fee1_c.jpg

36979358186_3beb8a768f_c.jpg

36979358096_7fcaa00a4d_c.jpg

36979887326_c9d171bc95_c.jpg

Some photos of my hunting buggy.

36979358036_b20b72be87_c.jpg

36979357976_a27e6f0941_c.jpg

36979357906_9d1c1a61c9_c.jpg

36423618266_6eb38d0909_c.jpg

Here's the video.

UPDATE: I found the first coyote. It was right underneath my nose and only went maybe 25 yards. I walked right past it without seeing it in the tall grass between the cabin and bait site.

To my surprise, the 25 gr. Hornady HP bullet exited - the first yet on several coyotes I have shot with the 17 Remington. The entry was classic right behind the shoulder, but at an angle and the bullet exited near mid-center on the opposite side, so it traveled a ways. The coyote was a small female so that may account for the exit.

It's good to know it didn't get away, and also to bring my doubles on a single night to three X. That leaves only one other coyote to get away from the 17 Remington, and that was due to a poorly placed shot on my part.

Weekender, yeah, I felt the shot was good at the time, and it was lethal though didn't drop like her like it usually does. That left me wondering about my shot placement. The impact area was about perfect, but the bullet exited further back (about mid way) than it should have. I don't recall that coyote at an angle like that, so that aspect is even more puzzling to me than it running off to begin with. Makes me wonder if the bullet changed course, or if this particular bullet had a different make-up or perhaps a flaw. As well, this is the very first coyote of several where the 25 gr. Hornady HP exited. No others had an exit, and this bullet traveled further through the body than any of the others. So, the puzzled-mind continues.

Great job 6mm!!!Getting started early on the baiting. It is a little too early/warm in my neck of the woods to get wound up on baiting yet. What were your temps the night you shot those two critters? When do you usually lay out your first bait? We'll be back close to 90 degrees this week again...crap!!! I'm ready though!!

Baitpile,

The temp as I recall was somewhere in the upper 50's. Cool but not too bad. Ninety degrees is pretty tough. I can't even think of staying at the cabin in temps like that. Actually once it gets into the mid or upper 60's at night I generally get too hot in the cabin.

As far as when I put bait out, I generally keep it out all year even though I generally don't hunt the summer months. I like to keep bait there and condition coyotes that it's there. This year I have been a bit lax and haven't baited as frequently as I generally do.

There is a local butcher who processes a lot of deer during hunting season. He gives me the carcasses and I use them when I have them, but the carcasses have a lot of meat left on them, and then there's the trimmings he cuts off and puts in plastic bags to dispose of. I taken them off his hands, gladly and cut up the trimmings into small chunks, maybe 2" square or less in size and place them in gallon and quart freezer bags, then put them in a taxidermy freezer. That keeps me in bait all year.

Baitpile,

Sorry for not seeing your question and coyote photo. I haven't checked the baiting section for several days.

I am using FLIKR now and not having any issues so far. I'm finished with Photobucket too.

Got this male coyote around 4:00 AM this morning with the home-made NV outfit and the CZ 527 .17 Remington shooting a 25 gr. Hornady HP.
He has been hitting the bait site pretty regularly for several days so I stayed at the cabin last night in hopes of getting a shot. This is the
second coyote out of many taken to run from the .17 Rem. Most just drop right there. I found him just over the ridge top later this morning.
He traveled maybe 30-40 yards.

37384781582_2dd461308f_c.jpg

37368319206_268cd7b5ba_c.jpg

23563590038_41cb6e5ba4_c.jpg

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCU087Lb--0&feature=youtu.be

Outstanding 6mm!!!! Stay after em...only gonna get better from here on out. Starting to cool down some here now, so getting anxious!!

Bait is up and running folks.Finally cooled down here enough to get rolling. Its been down to 10 degrees already, so fur should be prime. Shot one early November, square in the chest, no find. I knocked him off his feet, but, no joy. .22-250 pushing a 40 gr Vmax at 3600. I know...frontal chest...tough spot, but gambled and lost. Bait is at 170 yds. I'm on my 3rd roadkill deer already...lots of eagles cleaning me out, and many other vermin. Alarms going crazy!! Tis the season!! All the best of luck to you guys and keep us posted.

I can't believe I just found this thread. I have been shooting coyotes off of the same feedlot deadpit for 3 years now and still have just as much fun shooting there than I do calling.
I'll try and remember to get some pics and make updates as I go this year.
Here is from one of my first visits to the pit this year.
S6ldkZY.jpeg

Yotarunner, that's great. Glad you found this thread and glad to have you join in. Keep us posted with stories and photos, and the tactics you use, ie how you hunt over the bait etc. Everyone can learn something from each other.

Back