Best rangefinder

6xc

I’m looking for everyone’s opinions on what the best rangefinder might be. I’ve got a cheap Nikon pair that I’m not impressed with so I’m looking into buying a different pair. Is the G7 really worth the money?

No experience with it YET but the Sig Sauer line seems to have a pretty big following. I will be giving the 2200 version a try in the very near future.

I wanted a Sig 1250, but Sportsman's was out the day I went to buy. I ended up with a Vortex 1000 and am very pleased so far. It'll range critters to at least 800 and I can easily get rocks and large trees at 1,100-1,200. I like the LED readout and good scan feature. So far, so good.

Originally Posted By: shelton573No experience with it YET but the Sig Sauer line seems to have a pretty big following. I will be giving the 2200 version a try in the very near future.

I tried a Sig 2000 beside my Leica 1600 for an entire afternoon right after the Sig came out.
I'll just say it failed miserably.

Now maybe I just got a bad unit. I don't know.

Check out beam dispersion on any unit you are thinking about buying.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: shelton573No experience with it YET but the Sig Sauer line seems to have a pretty big following. I will be giving the 2200 version a try in the very near future.

I tried a Sig 2000 beside my Leica 1600 for an entire afternoon right after the Sig came out.
I'll just say it failed miserably.

Now maybe I just got a bad unit. I don't know.

Check out beam dispersion on any unit you are thinking about buying.

I can say the QC sure seems to be tightened up and the newest ones are better than the previous.

With all that said, the Vortex Ranger 1500 is doing all I need of an LRF as of now.

I have a sig 2000 that's awesome. I got mine onsale, I know two other people who have bought them at the same time as me and they are working great for them too. I think the only thing the lieca has over the sig is better glass. I would recommend the sig.

I've got the Sig Kilo 2000 and it will range trees and large buildings out to 1300 yards - just as good as the Leica 1200, which is a great rangefinder. Not much difference between the Leica 1200 and the 1600. AS far as beam dispersion is concerned - a few years ago the Leica was the tightest, followed by the Zeiss, then Swarovski - not sure of the current standings.

No one should be disappointed using a Sig Rangefinder.

In most cases, you'll need a rest of some sort to accurately range deer much over 500/600 yards, as holding your target within that aiming circle can be a little difficult.

What I do with my sig is use the scan function come from the top of the object ranging and move down onto it using the top of the reticle. Has worked good for me, have range coyotes over 600 yards doing this.

6xc, I don't personally have a G7 but my brother does and I've played with it a little. It will easily range deer at 1300-1400 yds if you can hold it steady. The ballistic profiles have been dead-on for him. My son recently bought the Sig Kilo 2000 and it's a nice compact package. The farthest open area we tested it we were ranging cows at 1100 yards. This model doesn't have the ballistic app. Hope this helps a little.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Time and time again....year after year....dollar for dollar. You just cant beat the Leica.

Ya but - most individuals don't really "need" an "Alpha" range finder but there are many on the market, such as the Sig, that will give Leica a good run for the money.
wink.gif

I use my Leica 1,400 yard range finding Bino's for Coyotes and a Nikon 550 for Javelina with my Bow.

I don't leave home without my Leica when it comes to Coyote hunting.

We have tried the G-7 model from about a year ago and it wasn't what we thought it should be for the price. I haven't tried the newest model but the old one wasn't any better if as good as the Kilo, which is much less money. We shoot a lot of steel targets and the best you can get are the Vectronix be that a terrapin, plrf 10,15 or the vectors. They are only available on eBay or forums. Vectronix quit selling to civilians but will still service their products for civilians. The terrapin will range a coyote at 1800-2000 all day long and it is the most affordable of the Vectronix line. The best part is the beam divergence as it is so tight you will get the coyote not the weed in front of or the rock behind it. Just have to have it on a bag or tripod and I like a rifle rear bag the best as the tripod still moves slightly when you push the fire button.

Originally Posted By: 6xcI’m looking for everyone’s opinions on what the best rangefinder might be. I’ve got a cheap Nikon pair that I’m not impressed with so I’m looking into buying a different pair. Is the G7 really worth the money?

There is no, the "best" rangefinder... Yes the G7 is really worth the money, especially compared to your "cheap" Nikons (not being a dick, just sayin)... Everyone has their price, some can afford the hi end kit that'll range over 10K meters, and those still aren't the "best". A really good rangefinder to start is the Sig line, If you want integrated then look at the Swaro EL's or Leica HDB's, Vortex also just came out with some LRF Bino's that are going to be hard to beat for the options the company offers.

Originally Posted By: skinneyVortex also just came out with some LRF Bino's that are going to be hard to beat for the options the company offers.

Very cool! Hadn't heard about these yet
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MatlockOriginally Posted By: skinneyVortex also just came out with some LRF Bino's that are going to be hard to beat for the options the company offers.

Very cool! Hadn't heard about these yet
thumbup1.gif

It is essentially the offspring of a Vortex Viper 10X42 and the Ranger 1500. Pretty good stuff at a decent price.

if you don't want to break the bank the sig. is probably the best choice it figures the angle also and they work when some of the higher priced ones won't.

Back