Looking for rub recipe

Huntinjim

Got a Big Easy smoker to smoke turkeys and it works well but I'd like to smoke other stuff as well. I tried a Boston butt and I thought it turned out well for pulled pork but it was pretty spicy from the rub. Fine with me but not everyone in the family likes spicy so now I'm looking for a flavorful rub that's not very spicy. I'm open to store bought or made from scratch but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Jim,
go to any store that carries McCormicks products and get a little jar of "Applewood Rub".
Rub your butt with plain old yellow mustard (that sounds funny
lol.gif
) ,give it a good coating of the Applewood stuff, and then do your usual slow and low cook.
I usually put a few soaked hickory chunks on the hot charcoal right before the butt and they give about an hour of decent smoke.
Something else I like to do is prep the butt the night before and wrap it tightly in Saran Wrap. That'll save time if you put it on early and the rub will be soaked in and it'll make a great bark.

Last edited:
I usuallly just start emptying the cabinets and go for a flavor that I'm in the mood for. Sometimes spicy sometimes not so much. Lots of good recipes online, probably just a mixture of stuff you already have. Rubbing some coffe out of a jar or packet works good on pork or brisket. On t.v. This last week I saw something I will try on my next brisket. In addition to using a pretty run of the mill rub recipe, he included cocoa powder in the rub. It looked great. Sounded wierd at first but is probably a good match the more I think about it.

For ribs, try a littl salt, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar. You can adjust the cayenne for your amount of sweet and spicy that you want.

I also use Spicy Sweet baby rays sauce and a.Shiner bock. Mix 1 for 1 and pour over anything and let stand for 24 hours.

Back