Woman Kills a Man with Thermal in Hunting Accident

Gman757

I have participated in numerous threads trying to stress the fact that Positive ID with thermal is not always possible. That fact is even more applicable with low magnification, low resolution units.

If you have ANY DOUBT about what you are seeing in your thermal scope then don't shoot.

"Woman fired shot using thermal night vision scope after mistaking man for hog"......

http://www.wyff4.com/article/shot-that-k...rs-say/12239667

(This was also posted in the Night Calling Forum.)

Last edited:
first of all if possible ID is not possible you never fire the shot. Lots of things look like hogs with their head down. There is no mistaken a hogs head for anything else.
Second never ever hide at night! There was no excuse for this man to have been down on hands and knees at night, unless he fell down.
Both hunters paid with their lives he is dead and she will likely never be right in the head providing she was to begin with.
Accidents can and do happen. These two people made bad decisions.
Always Always Safety first. No animal is worth anyone's life!

Originally Posted By: guessoh man you'd better not my wife hear you say that, there might be another hunting "accident". lol

Well please don't tell her I said that if you don't mind! Ha!

In all seriousness it is a sad story. I've often wondered that when I'm hunting using coyote vocals while in all camo, especially at night. All it would take is the wrong person to see movement, put you in the scope and pull the trigger. You really gotta watch what you are shooting at out there.

Back