Trying another picture....

fw707

Of another brisket.
This one started as an 8 pound Angus flat lightly seasoned with some Montreal steak seasoning and slow cooked on the Egg for about 12 hours.
I threw a few soaked hickory chunks on the fire when I put it on and it got an hour or so of good smoke.

thumbup1.gif

Well thank you, BD.
grin.gif

It was actually even better than it looked. The dang thing was certified Angus beef and cost way more that I would have ever paid!
But it was a B-Day gift from family so I made sure to share it appropriately.

thumbup1.gif

And thank you again!
grin.gif

I'd been afraid to try a brisket for a long time because they cost so much and they are so easy to mess up.

Next time is gonna be a 12-14 pound packer--no worries now.

thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Great looking brisket. Brisket is my favorite and very easy to cook over mesquite, but mine's not as purdy as that!

Regards,
hm

Thanks hm!

My only option in the Egg is lump charcoal for the main cooking fire. I usually add some wood on the coals at the start for some flavor and a little bit of a smoke ring.
I have a couple of bags of mesquite chunks and I'm gonna use some of them on the first packer brisket I do.

grin.gif

That'll work. I build a mesquite fire in the pit and it lines out around 325-350*. Just before closing the lid (when I have a good bed of coals), I sear the untrimmed brisket, fat side down, turn and sear lean side, slide brisket back past coals, fat side up and leave it be 5-6 hours.

35986726525_14bd51c443_c.jpg
35176408093_50f1f5a2d3_c.jpg

Not nearly as pretty as yours, though.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHVery nice Jeff, and Happy Birthday

Thanks!!
grin.gif

hm,
I think it looks mighty fine myself!
The only mesquite around here comes in bags. Tractor Supply had them on sale a while back and I grabbed a couple.

We do mostly butts and ribs.
Brisket has a flavor all its own and we'll be doing more now that I've learned a little about cooking them.

And your pit is killer!!
thumbup.gif

Thanks, Jeff. I'd always wanted a brick pit and when there was just enough brick left over from our patio, had it built. Cost wasn't too bad until I went to put the doors on.
smile.gif
Decided to bite the bullet and go stainless. Now I'm glad I did, but...ouch! The grill slides out the front doors for easy access, then slides back so meat is not above fire box.

Mesquite is so plentiful here, that is almost entirely what I use except when I trim my oak tree. Like you, I found bags of oak chunks on sale and sometimes used that in conjunction w/mesquite, but that's all gone now.

Here's a CHART of woods used for smoking that you might find interesting. Have a 45 year old avocado tree w/lots of dead wood that I just might have to try but will have to wait until after avocado season.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Back