22 Wmr for coyotes and fox

Colten

Wondering if this little round is capable of taking down a coyote.i have killed 2 fox with it both at about 100 yds. Thinking about going calling soon and am not sure if it will be the ideal choice.i mainly shoot the cci 30g v-max traveling at 2200fps.thanks!

A centerfire round would do a better job, especially if the hit was a bit off. However, out to 75 yards or so the rimfire would work with well placed shots.

It is certainly capable and I would not call it the ideal choice for coyotes.
If you keep the shots under 100 yds with good bullets and placement. I prefer 40-50 gr projectiles but have never used vmax in wmr.

I killed some coyotes with it a long time ago. It worked, don't think I shot over about 80 yards and I don't remember getting exit holes from the Winchester 40 gr. hollow points I used back then. Seems I remember the need to search for a couple that I shot with little or no blood trail. Bullet technology has changed maybe something is better now but it's not going to be as effective as even a small modern centerfire cartridge.

I'm sure it is more than capable as long as you are not taking long shots with it. Although, I did shoot two yotes with mine and never retrieved them. One was a neck shot and one was a shoulder shot. I heard the "thump" so I know there was impact. It was fall so there was no snow on the ground so I never found a blood trail. Due to those experiences, I've switched to #4 buckshot at night (nighttime regulations here in Michigan on state land). If I do take the .22 Mag out again it will be only head shots from now on with it. I don't feel good after wounding an animal. For day time on state land or night on private I switched to .223 recently.

Although I have no real exp with it a buddy used it for fox and had a lot of runners. After he switched to a 223 no runners.

Shoot a lot of fox with the wmr out here. Rarely get anything but drt. Coyotes are another story. Killed a few with one and wouldn't consider it ideal for them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I may try and see what it does on one then go from there.. it definitely works good on fox thought!

From my experience hunting coyotes with a 22 Mag is kind of like catch and release, a lot of run offs but that's just my opinion. Since our laws changed and we can use centerfire at night I wouldn't even consider my 22 Mag.

Coyotes are QUITE DIFFERENT than fox. Even with center fires we have runners. Shot placement is very important. 204, 222,223,243 ( 300win mag
w00t.gif
)

243 is my favorite, not many runners with it !

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickCoyotes are QUITE DIFFERENT than fox. Even with center fires we have runners. Shot placement is very important. 204, 222,223,243 ( 300win mag
w00t.gif
)

243 is my favorite, not many runners with it !

Same here, although I favor a .257 bob...

I killed a LOT of coyotes hunting off of horseback in Az with a Ruger 22 Mag and 40g Winchester HP.

My shots were not long as a rule, 75 yards and under they are usually dead right there. As the shots get longer, a direct heart/lung shot is imperative which involves a lot of luck on walking and trotting coyotes.

The Ruger is a 1" grouping rifle at 100 yards on a calm day with the 40g Winchester HP, groups as good with several other bullets but they do not kill worth a hoot. Winchester supreme was not good at dispatching feral cats, must less a coyote.

The key to a coyote 22 mag rifle is to use a bullet that is made to penetrate, and the 50g bullets have terrible trajectory as the distance gets longer...if your gun will shoot them at all(none of mine will shoot them well).

If you use poly tip bullets, expect a lot of run off's...I will not mention brands. Also, some popular bullets do not expand that are copper coated lead and you get a bonus of a leaded up barrel.

Marlin 25M and the Savage Bolt guns are both unreal accurate, but not quite as smooth on feeding as the Ruger. The Marlin Tube feed is my second favorite in the 22 Mag as they feed slick.

If you hit a coyote in the rear of the lung, you may not find him depending on the distance. If you hit him behind the diaphragm, you will for sure NOT find him. So, think like an archer and place your shot.

DO not expect complete penetration or a blood trail.

I use an old beat up Leupold 4x12 Vari-X II with an AO on my Ruger 22 Mag all weather stainless(boat paddle stock).

When shooting a 22 mag, I leade a coyote on the move just like I would using a shotgun, and the Winchester 40g HP will penetrate the shoulder, ribs, and hip joints(running away shots). You have to shoot your rifle a lot and get confidence with it and know the trajectory, and I sight in for 100 yards. My longest shot was a facing shot at 150 yards, I put the cross hair on the top of his head and hit him just below dead center of the chest...he hit the ground fast!

Last edited:
Since you have a choice make a good clean kill with a center fire round. A person spends a lot of time & effort to get a predator to come in. Certainly don't want to have to look for a wounded one. Save the 22 WMR for fox. JMO.

Back