Mobile Device Support Update

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
I've had a few members contact me asking for mobile support, spefically Tapatalk. I've inquired into this.

The bad news is that this version of the UBB software doesn't readily support it. It's possible but requires custom programming & I don't have an estimate of that cost yet.

The good news is that it's expected to be supported in future versions & seems quite possible that this support will be included in the next upgrade.

In thethe past, The only thing I had trouble with on my android phone was posting a question or replies to via PM. Havent tried since the upgrade. Otherwise I have no problems. I'm on my phone now.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZWhy would you need an App? bookmark the site. It's a website not an app.

It works fine on the phone.

I agree. I access it all the time just using the internet on my phone.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZWhy would you need an App? bookmark the site. It's a website not an app.

It works fine on the phone.

I agree. I access it all the time just using the internet on my phone.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZWhy would you need an App? bookmark the site. It's a website not an app.

It works fine on the phone. Apps generally run faster on phones and sometimes you can have access to certain features without interent. Not that this would be the case for this site, just saying its a possibilty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZWhy would you need an App? bookmark the site. It's a website not an app.

It works fine on the phone. Apps generally run faster on phones and sometimes you can have access to certain features without interent. Not that this would be the case for this site, just saying its a possibilty.

Your confusing an AP with downloaded and locally stored information (an actual application loaded on your phone) with a website.

Any "AP" that takes you to a website, is just a link with a picture on your phone or mobile device. It's still just a book mark.

Cnn, Drudge, Foxnews, and so on are just links that open your web browser and open their page. It's all redirection and slight of hand. That is not an Application or AP.

You can't have a forum AP that isn't updated with the posts (ie the internet)

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZOriginally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZWhy would you need an App? bookmark the site. It's a website not an app.

Your confusing an AP with downloaded and locally stored information (an actual application loaded on your phone) with a website.

Any "AP" that takes you to a website, is just a link with a picture on your phone or mobile device. It's still just a book mark.

Cnn, Drudge, Foxnews, and so on are just links that open your web browser and open their page. It's all redirection and slight of hand. That is not an Application or AP.

You can't have a forum AP that isn't updated with the posts (ie the internet) not all forum sites are just forums only. For instance Accurateshooter.com has a home page with information stored that one could access off line if they set it up that way thru an app, so, though it may not be best suited for this forum an app can still be usefull for some forum/sites.
Read this, hopefully it will help get accross what im trying to say. I believe we are both describing the same thing just in a different matter. But I also think youre not fully understanding the potential advantages of having an app. https://www.lifewire.com/what-are-apps-1616114

Last edited:
I have, at times written aps from scratch using VB.net, Java, C-sharp, i have created multi-threading aps to handle and address connectivity and capacity issues independently.

I am aware of what is part of an Application and what is not. I am not sure you do. based on what you are saying, it's not clear you do.

information you are accessing when off line is stored data at rest. At some level it is just a file of data that is retrieved and displayed.(that file is data, the file format it's on is an ap. Word is an ap, the information in your word doc is just data) That off line data is not an ap, that is data that an Ap can display. But that could be a word document, text document, or several others. That would use far less resources and memory to read.

you are using up memory in a very inefficient format that has to check for updates each time you log in. thus causing version and editing issues if not careful. (off line for a week, and your version could be outdated if something changed since) But that isn't an Application, it's data.

This site is full of data, the Application that it runs on is a forum template. This website is just a location, and has no data, the data is all in a database on the back-end. The forum software or application organizes and gives users the ability to do all we see and do, but behind the scenes it's all just code, a whole page to make the page look nice, and a simple query search to return the data that you have requested.
No internet, and no one would have the ability to go in a run the query unless they were plugged directly into the network hosting this site.

Apps for this kind of site, only act as a lazy mans book mark to go to the website. Since we don't download the forum software to remain on our computers or smart devices, and we don't constantly update those "stored" items either. Which are also a very serious concern for our saftey. As i am sure that no one would come here if they were getting malware or other nasty unknowns, which happens on all kinds of sites that force local data storage. (hence the longer and longer notices before you down load anything from the App stores)

This site is actually doing all of us a favor by not using up data on our devices, and storing data we don't need locally either.

oh and your link, that is a dummy guide that skips over the specifics and is actually not a very good description.. I wouldn't teach that to high school kids.

case in point.. "The app is a modern take on the word software or application. This is why you probably only hear it in reference to a mobile app or a small piece of software that's running on a website.
It's typically used to describe anything that isn't a full-fledged software program."

If an App, is short for Application or software, how exactly do they run some of the program and not the "full-fledged software" That isn't an option since you have to know that the code of a software program is compiled. You can't just run some of it without specialized software for programming. All the code is running and available, and while you may only be using or calling certain routines it's still running. If it needs to access a website, that is still just a routine and will get an error if you cannot connect. It's Like a retriever that is sitting at your feet eagerly waiting for you to say fetch. You just tell it what to fetch and it runs in a flow from routine to routine adding and compiling variables that are all pre-named and called as needed. give it something it can't do, and you should get an error, if done right.

Back