17 HMR through 30 cal. Can

viper

Has anyone ever shot a 17 HMR through a 30 caliber suppressor? I have a TBAC ultra 7, .30 cal. and it would be nice to occasionally take out a "varmint" and not alert all the neighbors. I just don't want to pay a $125.00 for a mount for my gun if it would cause a problem or not reduce any sound. Thanks

You can Fire 17hmr thru your Suppressor.
But, Rimfire cartridges burn very Dirty and will foul up your center fire Suppressor.
Some Suppressor manufacturer don't recommend it.
As far as sound reduction , a 17 hmr goes very fast and the bullet sonic "Crack " will still be there fired thru your suppressor. A Suppressor on most center fire rifles, suppresses the "BOOM" of the powder burn, not the sonic crack of the bullet traveling thru the air.
A rimfire suppressor would be a better choice , but even for it to be quiet you would need to use subsonic ammo. I don't know if there is a sub-sonic 17 hmr ammo.
But I see no harm in trying a round or two to satisfy your curiosity.
Good Luck.

Thanks Crowkiller I'am not looking for subsonic type reduction, Just wondering about quieting it some. Someday I'll pick up a .22 and a .22 caliber can but I just waited a year for this one for my coyote guns and thought it might help. I don't shoot a box of ammo a year through the 17 HMR mainly at muskrats and the occasional coon or opossum. Thanks

I have an Element 2 on my 17hmr, and yes it does make a difference. Just about like having a can on a 223. Im sure ur tb would do the same. What mount are u referring to that cost $125?

I've been shooting my 17 hmr with my dead air sandman s on it, and it does make it very quiet. The 17 burns a lot cleaner than a 22 or 22 mag. If your not shooting high volume with it you should be just fine.

if it gets dirty - put it back on your 308 or 223 and fire a few full house loads thru it. any crap should burn right outa there
smile.gif

and since the 17hmr is a jacketed round, you dont have to worry about leading like you do with most rimfire ammo.

neither of my hmr's is threaded - its on the todo list - but if either were i would have no qualms about shootin em thru my 30 cal can. i shoot 223 thru it all the time and it does a great job. however - if they were threaded - i'd probably just run it thru my Sparrow (magnum rimfire rated) for weight savings since its SOOO much lighter than my 30 cal can.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1I have an Element 2 on my 17hmr, and yes it does make a difference. Just about like having a can on a 223. Im sure ur tb would do the same. What mount are u referring to that cost $125?

It a muzzle brake that's made to fit my suppresser to.

I will shoot 17HMR through my Harvester 30 when my son is using the Element 2 on his 22LR. I will not shoot 22LR through the Harvester though.

Thanks Ray it will be interesting to see the numbers. I took a crow with mine the other day and it was great! The .30 caliber can quieted it down nicely on a. 16" barrel.

Thanks Ray that was interesting! I know I thought my 7" ultra 30 sounded good on my rifle with a 16" barrel.

Back