Carbon Arrows for a Black Widow Bow

17varmint

I am considering trying some carbon arrows on my Black Widow MAII. I have had this bow since 1990 and have always shot aluminum arrows.
My bow is a 62" MAII 50# at 29". I shoot heavy arrows and broadhead and they shoot good and are quiet.
Any suggestions as to where to start with the carbon arrows?

I shoot Gold tip 55/75 carbons with a 100 grain brass insert. Use 165 grain 2 blade broad heads up front. This combo has worked well out of most of my tradition bows. Heavy and quiet with great penetration. Last elk I shot with traditional gear shot thru it and into a tree about 30 yards beyond it. Thought I had missed till I pulled my arrow and it was covered with blood.

drscott

Last edited:
I like Easton Axis trads.The 400 size should work well.To keep the weight decent stick with the trad types with the wood grain finish or Carbon Express Pile Driver.Most other carbons run on the light side.Lancaster Archery sell's single shafts so you can try a few different brands/sizes to see which shoots best for your setup.

I was wondering if the weighted insert were the way to go instead of the add on weights. I have been shooting a 165 grain broadhead too.

Do you purchase the finished arrows are put them together yourself? I usually build my arrows and I was wondering if there may be problems with getting the fletching to stick on the small diameter shafts.
Thanks

I drew #52 @31" on my Widow when I had it. I shot full length Carbon Express 250 Heritage with 50gr inserts if I remember correctly with a 125 head. All in all it made for a pretty heavy arrow and tuff.

Last edited:
Some like the Axis come with point inserts that you can snap off the end to adjust weight and spine.I dont bother with weight tubes but there are many options.I buy bare shafts full length feathers etc and use a Bitz fletching jig with the left helical clamp.The first carbons I ever tried were AFC 2300.Those are about the diameter of a juice box straw.Uber skinny!No problem even with them.

I have a couple Bob Lee curves, and I shoot Gold Tips out of em.
I will say though, that while I shoot carbons, I have shot wood and aluminum out of all of my recurves. Knowing what I know now, Im not so sure I would switch to carbons if I was shooting aluminums real well. Really not a thing wrong with em. For a lot of guys they tune easier and are quieter. They also have the weight your looking for with trad.
Mark

I shoot Gold Tip 600 Traditionals in my 50lb recurve. Full length with a weighted insert and a 125 grain broadhead, 5" shield cut feathers. Super quiet and fly like darts with great penetration.

Back