Why does my 10/22 not suppress very well?

steve garrett

I have a liberty mystic x. I have been really happy with the can so far. The coolest thing to suppress has been my m&p 22 compact it makes then gun sound like a suped up air soft gun. It does a decent job on my ar 15. According to others away from the shot often the bullet impact is louder. But putting the same can on my 10/22 I get very little suppression with it. Imagine mini mag sounding about like cci standard velocity unsuppressed. I can't understand why a 16 inch barrel is way louder suppressed than a 4 inch pistol barrel in my little 22 pistol. What is happening with this

In the 4 inch barrel your only getting the gasses to work in 4 inches of the barrel. In the 16" barrel the gasses are working longer increasing the velocity, the 22LR isn't that loud inherently anyway, so on the rifle you're not going to see a lot of results unless you use slower (subsonic) ammo.

Like James said...
Run standard velocity ammo (something in the 1050 FPS range) to get away from the sonic crack you have now with your rifle.
Just about everything out of a 4 inch pistol barrel in 22 is subsonic.

I think maybe just being semi-auto has something to do with the perceived sound level too.

My threaded 10/22 with my Spectre mounted, even with standard velocity ammo, just doesn't really seem hardly any quieter than my unsuppressed 10/22 with the same standard velocity ammo. Maybe just my ears, which are bad. But I can't tell much of a difference between my two 10/22's suppressed vs. un-suppressed, with either supersonic or subsonic ammo. I "can" tell "a" difference. It just isn't very much.

Overall, for me, suppressing a 10/22, I'd just have to call it a fail. Totally not worth having that barrel threaded.

My bolt action .17 HMR, which is quite supersonic, big difference, seems like. Worth getting the Spectre and having that barrel threaded. Seems like a very noticeable difference. Even though, that round is definitely supersonic and wasn't very loud to begin with, the Spectre makes a very noticeable difference on it.

My semi-auto .22 WMR, really, really wish I hadn't wasted any money on having that barrel threaded. It doesn't seem like enough difference to be worth mentioning. I mean, again, I can "tell" that it is just a little bit quieter with the Spectre. But it's such a slight difference, it's not anything worth messing with. I still want to wear ear protection shooting it with the suppressor. But, that particular semi-auto .22 Mag (922M), actually does not function with the suppressor on it. So, double fail, as far as trying to suppress it. Not enough sound reduction to make any meaningful difference to anything and renders it non-functional to boot. Complete waste of money having it threaded.

My .22/45, very noticeable suppression. With both subs and supers. Definitely quieter with the standard velocity, obviously. With either type of ammo it is way quieter than without the Spectre. Put the fun back in plinking with the pistol.

So, for me, with my guns and my Spectre, very mixed bag. Wish I hadn't wasted any money having a 10/22 barrel threaded, but even way more wish I hadn't messed up a perfectly good semi-auto .22 Mag by having the barrel shortened and threaded. It's not enough quieter to be worth anything and worse, won't even function with the suppressor attached. Nobodies fault but mine, of course, but my lesson learned, maybe somebody else can save themselves the money and aggravation.

Awesome on the .17 HMR bolt gun and .22/45 pistol though. Would buy the Spectre again just for them. But would save myself a couple hundred bucks and not mess up a 10/22 barrel or my 922M .22 Mag.

- DAA

Well, so is my unsuppressed 10/22 shoot subs
laugh.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaI was going to get this barrel for my 10/22 and go pay for my suppressor and stamp.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/161375...threaded-muzzle

But after reading this, I don't know if I want too. Is it just with certain suppressors? I was going to get a specific 22 rimfire suppressor from Silencerco, the 22 Warlock. My goal is not too spook all my varmints at the feeders so any advice I'll definitely take it!

Shoot Subsonic ammo instead of Hi-Velocity as previously mentioned above to avoid any sonic crack from bullet breaking the sound barrier.

The semi is louder because there is gas expansion happening still and it comes out of action close to your ear. Nobody really talks about this. I think we are too proud of our new toy to admit it's not as awesome as we thought in some situations.

Silencershop had a few YouTube videos where they tested ar15 and got 160 something unsuppressed and mid 130's suppressed using standard measurements 1m left of the muzzle. When measuring the suppressed gun at the shooters ear it was 149 db. That's loud.

although quite honestly you probably wont *need* all three of them, but they're cheap enough that i'd rather have spares around just in case.

i'm still on the first one, thousands of rounds later.

I replaced a Clark buffer with about 20,000 rounds on it. I think it was viton but I'm not sure, looks identical to the Kidd viton buffers though. It was definitely worn but still serviceable after 20k rounds. Have viton Kidd's in the two working 10/22's now, don't ever expect to replace them again.

- DAA

Back