Surpressor and handloads developed prior to surpressor?

zr600

Ok I'm with in a month or two of getting my surpressor and I'm wondering if it will affect my handload accuracy or just point of impact?

My pre-suppressor loads have not had any change in group size, only POI. 223,243,6.8 SPC and 308.
I have a new 6.8 and 6x6.8 that have never been fired without the suppressor.

You will see some POI Shift, and some times you can see a increase in FPS as well. 10-25 FPS.

You POI should be 100% repeatable with a good quality suppressor

It just depends. I have some rifles it didn't seem to affect the accuracy node at all, and some others I had to re-tune a bit to get back on the node. It seems to me that sporter weight barreled rifles are much more likely to need the load re-tuned than heavy barrels, because generally it is harder to get a light whippy barrel on the node to begin with. Several of my rifles shot better with the can on, and didn't require a re-tune at all.

IMO it is easier to tune a load on a suppressed rifle. The suppressor seems to damp the vibrations some.

You will probably see some POI shift, once again it will probably be quite a bit less on a heavy short barrel than on a long light barrel. It should be repeatable though.

You may or may not experience a POI shift depending on weight, length and type of suppressor, along with barrel contour, length and treading concentricity.

As for your pet load, I really doubt you'll have to change anything. I have not had to tweak any of my stuff and I also use different cans like a 7" and a 9" on the same rifle, along with different diameters like a 22cal and 30cal on same rifle.

If you got a 1/4" gun, it's still going to be that and in most cases better as long as it's a quality suppressor with a solid mount.

Originally Posted By: Kino MIf you got a 1/4" gun, it's still going to be that and in most cases better as long as it's a quality suppressor with a solid mount.

I'd love to hear the explanation for how randomly changing the harmonics of a 1/4" barrel is magically going to make it "in most cases better".

Tuners have been experimented with to death in bench rest but have never caught on. If they could magically improve the accuracy potential of a barrel, every BR competitor on earth would be running one. Instead, they prefer to put that weight into other components and tune the load to the barrel rather than tune the barrel to the load.

You can think of adding a suppressor as adding a tuner, that can't actually be tuned.

Fortunately, the load can be tuned and a 1/4" barrel is still going to be a 1/4" barrel and won't be made worse by a properly installed barrel weight, or suppressor.

I do not doubt that barrels frequently do show increased accuracy when a suppressor is installed. But what that should be telling you is that you didn't have your load tune fully optimized and have just stumbled into a better state of tune by randomly changing barrel harmonics.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Kino MIf you got a 1/4" gun, it's still going to be that and in most cases better as long as it's a quality suppressor with a solid mount.

I'd love to hear the explanation for how randomly changing the harmonics of a 1/4" barrel is magically going to make it "in most cases better".

Tuners have been experimented with to death in bench rest but have never caught on. If they could magically improve the accuracy potential of a barrel, every BR competitor on earth would be running one. Instead, they prefer to put that weight into other components and tune the load to the barrel rather than tune the barrel to the load.

You can think of adding a suppressor as adding a tuner, that can't actually be tuned.

Fortunately, the load can be tuned and a 1/4" barrel is still going to be a 1/4" barrel and won't be made worse by a properly installed barrel weight, or suppressor.

I do not doubt that barrels frequently do show increased accuracy when a suppressor is installed. But what that should be telling you is that you didn't have your load tune fully optimized and have just stumbled into a better state of tune by randomly changing barrel harmonics.

- DAA

So to elaborate on my comments, I'm saying that a quality suppressor and solid mount in my experience has never been detrimental to accuracy and in most cases, pet loads don't have to be tweaked much, if at all. In most cases there is a small increase in muzzle velocity. If your gun is a 1/4"MOA before you screw a suppressor on it, it still will be with a suppressor on it.

The biggest "gain" is shooter comfort. Less recoil, less muzzle blast and less noise, ESPECIALLY under a covered bench. This benefit is much more prevalent in hard recoiling calibers with lots of blast like 300, 338 and even 308 with heavy bullets. It makes shooting 308,260s and 243s a real pleasure to shoot. It makes 223s like a toy.

With a 12-18 pound benchrest gun in 6PPC or other light calibers, there's almost no recoil so these guns wouldn't benefit from a suppressor anywhere near what a tactical or hunting rifle does.

Hopefully that's a little better explanation!

Well it's a lane scorpion king 30 cal. Will be using it on my 6x6.8, 22-243, possibly a 6.5 creedmoore, 223, and my 270.

I have not had to re do any of my loads after adding a suppressor.
After installing it & re sighting with the suppressor my POA changes from 1" to 3" high when shooting with it off depending on rifle.

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok I'm with in a month or two of getting my surpressor and I'm wondering if it will affect my handload accuracy or just point of impact?

You can never say everything is going to be repeatable, just because you have a good can. A lot is influenced by your weapon, contour of barrel, etc. I develop a load with my can on, as I don't plan on shooting without it.

Well I got it last week and got a rain day at work today but then it cleared up a few hours later so I went to the range quick. It's awesome left grinning but had my scope mount come loose and didn't notice till I got home, I was having random fliers but it wasn't horrible so I thought it was me. So it was a quick trip with just a few shots.

My POI shifted 3inches when I shot my Phantom stainless .30cal QD. But I am running a pretty light 16in barrel on my .308 AR so I am not surprised that it shifted. Groups are just as tight as they were pre-suppressor.

Back