Illinois gun transport law

Illinoiscoyote

So I was told I can leave my gun loaded in its case in the bed of my truck. Anyone know if this is true? I know inside the vehicle it has to be unloaded but outside of the passenger compartment can it be left loaded?

For safety reason I always unload my long guns it just does not take that long to reload. Like when I climb a fence, just do it for safety sake.

with the way the rest of the gun laws are in IL, i wouldnt risk it. ya'll cant have anything else fun, why would they let you roll around with a loaded rifle in the truck?

just my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onewith the way the rest of the gun laws are in IL, i wouldnt risk it. ya'll cant have anything else fun, why would they let you roll around with a loaded rifle in the truck?

just my thoughts.

Haha good point

In Illinois it is illegal to have a loaded weapon in the bed of the truck if the keys are in the ignition I have been told

Email your state police or Fish and Game Headquarters with a very specific question and they will give you a very specific answer. Being Illinois it would surprise me if you could have it loaded. And it would also surprise me that anybody would leave a gun in the back of a truck in the state of Illinois

I have a cc & can carry cocked, locked, and ready to rock in my vehicle. Long guns can have a mag, but none in chambers, in a closed case.

I may be wrong here but...... IL CC laws are different from general (police and DNR) laws. I do not think one can transport a firearm in a case with a loaded clip or magazine even if the chamber is empty. No... this does not apply to CC. I legally carry my hand gun the same way... Cocked, Locked, and Loaded. (yea, that means 1911)

However, I certainly wouldn't try having a long gun in the vehicle even in a case with an empty chamber and a loaded magazine. As many here in Illinois know, there is a lot of "grey" area in some of our laws.

Just my thoughts

Last edited:
In WV I believe you can be fined for leaning a loaded rifle up against the truck tire. I am allowed to carry concealed though.

I'm an Illinois CC holder and in addition to the usual compliment of sidearms, I do carry an AR15 pistol loaded and with spare mags in the truck. It is always out of sight but within reach.

The IL CC laws do not apply to any long gun at any time.

I am a retired IL CPO, no throwing of rotten veggies, It is ILLEGAL to have a loaded gun in a case.
The confusion may come from a Muzzleloader may have the charge still in the barrel as long the ignition source (cap, primer or frizen pan powder) is removed.

From what I understand you can't have a magazine with any ammo in it in any firearm while transporting in a vehicle in Illinois even if one is not in the chamber. Of course concealed carried is different.

I guess the politicians don't understand that it's already illegal to poach and it's already illegal to murder people. Everybody knows if you carry a loaded gun in your vehicle that you're going to start poaching and murdering
scared.gif

Last edited:
I cant do it in MI--no loaded guns IN or ON a motor vehicle, except for those w/ CCW and then only short guns--no long guns.

Id never do it in ILL cause I dont go there-ever.

Originally Posted By: IllinoiscoyoteSo I was told I can leave my gun loaded in its case in the bed of my truck. Anyone know if this is true? I know inside the vehicle it has to be unloaded but outside of the passenger compartment can it be left loaded?

You were told wrong. Outside of CCL, all firearms must be unloaded and fully encased. Loaded mags CAN be stored in the case with the firearm but cannot be inserted. One cannot fire from a vehicle . . . keys in it or not. Using the hood as a rest is technically illegal. Thank the poachers for that.

There's absolutely no question that Illinois' politics is a corrupt mess. If we could get rid of that cesspool in the NE then we'd be as much or more conservative than MO. There is also no question that the lawbreakers cause additional regulation (e.g. firing from a vehicle = illegal) that should be unnecessary.

We currently can hunt coyotes at night during the fox season with thermal or NV. I suspect it's only a matter of time before some poacher screws that up for us too.

Which begs the question - why can't coyote hunters in MO use thermal or NV?

Back