Shooting Non-game animals from platform back of pickup in Nevada

gmww

I'm hoping a game warden from Nevada can answer this. I've shot ground squirrels from a bench on the ground in NV. However, I've seen both platforms on the back of pickups and on trailers. I've spoken to both groups and received different answers. I've also researched it as best I can and came up with two statutes that apply.

The first statute address shooting from a vehicle. From what I'm reading it applies to game animals being shot at from along or across a public roadway. The second statute is about having a loaded firearm in or on the vehicle. Again it seems to apply for those on public roadways or along side of public roadways.

I shoot on private property at non-game animals on a pivot far away from any public roadway. So is it legal to elevate my benchrest by putting it in the back of a pickup?

I eventually would like to elevate my bench and travel from out of state to Nv. It would be cheaper to be able to use my pickup bed vs building a platform on a trailer. However, I wish to stay well within the laws.

Thanks

Just call NDOW for the region you will be shooting in and ask. They are the ones who will be interpreting the law at the time of contact in the field.

Originally Posted By: crapshootJust call NDOW for the region you will be shooting in and ask. They are the ones who will be interpreting the law at the time of contact in the field.

Perfect answer...

Will probably do that if I don't get an answer here. Figured since the forum thread is ASK THE GAME WARDEN this might be a good place to ask.

I was thinking the same thing, lol. I was curious about hunting on a platform in Washington state. If you find out PM me please

Last edited:
I would strongly advise that you ask the questions yourself to your individual fish and game department in writing. Email is a beautiful thing because when they reply you can keep it with you in case there's an issue with the warden who didn't get the memo from headquarters regarding what you're doing

If you get an answer that allows this, make sure that you have it in writing and carry it with you. There are too many conflicting interpretations of the law by those that administer it.

If you get a clear answer from Nevada f&g, I'd be interested in seeing it also with the name of the person who answered your question.

Back