Advertiser idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Holly

I have an idea. When a paid advertiser has a new product that they want to showcase such as the recent release from MO and Foxpro, can the mods just lock the thread after the initial post? I think that they pay enough money to not have to have their threads hijacked by crap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif One post to give the facts out, then lock it up. If you want to debate it, then that would be a seperate post. How about it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

J Holly your idea is a good one and you deserve a thanks for trying to offer a solution to the problem.

I would hate to see PM go to this length just because of a few people who think they are so clever and want to look like a board tough guy by taking on a advertiser. I do like to read the legitimate questions people ask about new products. An advertiser who takes the time to explain their product and answer questions on this board deserves to hear the input of the people who may be purchasing it. When you get down to it there is only a few jerks who try to play this game with the advertisers and for the most part those few offer nothing to the board anyway.

Maybe all the advertisers should be polled to see what they want. Like you said they are the ones keeping the lights on around here.

Last edited:
I agree with Lonny , I like to see the new products come out and read the questions and answers about the products.

Read JHolly's post again, gentlemen. He suggested closing the thread after it was originally posted. THEN, if the PM Forum wanted to discuss the attributes of the new call they could do it in a following thread. Just keeps the trouble makers from stirring the pot.

I think its a good idea.

I also do metal detecting, and frequent a couple of forum's on that hobby as well. One in particular has different forum's sset up for the various brands of detectors, so that the guys that use them can chat with the other people that have that brand. It was started primarily for the same reasons that have happened here many times. One guy likes brand X and another likes brand Y. The separate forums work fine for keeping that separated. There are still general forum's where all chat and contribute. Just not too overly on any one product, as it invaribly always causes an argument.

Good luck on whatever the decision might be. I'm just pleased that we have MFG's that are credible people, and willing to respond to their customer base. Think about it, I haven't heard any real bad PR for quite awhile now on any one manufacturer.

I have no axe to grind on any of them. I think their all great, and more power to them.

Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

There is a great deal of merit to what you suggest JHolly. Let me take it one step further just for the sake of discussion. Why not have a thread devoted to just that one advertiser and not lock it up. The board may want to market that concept to the advertiser for an elevated fee. But....does that mean?

It could be moderated fairly?

Would an advertiser want a thread where others will possibly use it to attack them unfairly for personal gain?

Would it be a free speech zone or would only positive comments be allowed with negative ones deleted?

Could it be solely devoted to Q and A for a new or current product without flame wars errupting?

Could the manufacturer stand the heat?

I throw these kinds of things out simply to get the analytical juices flowing for a healthy discussion.

Luv2Hunt, I suggested domething very similar to that on another thread and it didn't really go anywhere. Maybe it sounds better the way you said it. I think the concept is worth a good round of brainstorming but it hasn't happened yet to my suggestion on the other thread.....unless it has since I was last there....I will be back in a minute.

Nope nothing yet...but it did deteriorate into a discussion about Boobs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yes JHolly, I do use mouthcalls quite a bit.....in responding to your comments on the other thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luv2hunt, what would keep someone from using the follow up thread to do the very thing you were trying to stop by locking the original post up?

Last edited:
Thankfully it's September so very soon fur will be getting prime; most of us will have more to look forward to than lobbing nastygrams back and forth.

Actually, this problem tends to solve itself, over the long haul. Any manufacturer who flames others or games the system tends not to last very long, least not around here.

(We may be simple country folk, but some of us have been to town a time or two or seven. Some of us have even developed a nose for them rigged ring toss games down at the County Fair!)

I think, the key here is is one word ; DEBATE. When I am reading about a new product i dont want to see all this he said she said crap. I want to hear / learn about the new product. I dont care if a year and a half ago Johny Joe Billy Bob's call was delayed 4 times and it took him 47 e-mails and 53 telephone calls to the Nasty cat call company before he finaly got his call.
Shouldnt Debates be left in the church or club house?
Or even in the "bull ring" as GS sudgested?

When it came time for me to invest in a new call, I looked at what was out there that had the features I felt were important to me, narrowed it down by E-mailing the manufacturers with questions about things that were imortant to me and reading - google and here and a couple of other boards. By PMing people that have product made by the manufacturer . And by asking people localy that I know hunt too- in the gun shops and at the range.
For me the biggest decideing factor was how quicky my Q's to the manufacterers were responded to and how well. (I am still waiting for a reply from a couple)

Note the words " FOR ME" and "I" and " TO ME" , what is important to me might not be to Joe Bang Flop.

Folks for me this is no different than buying a car, or even a rifle. I am not going to get agressive with the Ford dealer just because I might happen to think his claims are overinflated. And I am not going to go yell at the glock dealer and tear down his product because it took him an extra 3 weeks to get my product to me.

I wont publicly berate anyones product, but if asked I will share my opinion PRIVATELY.

And as far as these "ambush" attacks go, they realy prove nothing one way or antother. For instance, when I was a lot younger if you called someone a lier, you had better be ready to fight. Well if you got your butt kicked what did it prove? For all everyone else knew either you were an honest guy who couldnt fight or a lier who could . Dont bring negative stuff to the table unless you can back it up with FACTS. Otherwise how am I to know weather your honest or just a good fighter?

OK, Im off my soap box now... thanks for listenin.

"Dont bring negative stuff to the table unless you can back it up with FACTS. Otherwise how am I to know weather your honest or just a good fighter?"

Therein lies the problem Slim. How do you know what is fact and what is not in this medium? You are not looking him in the face and you can't see what is in his hands. It is a real dilema. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Perhaps you hit the nail on the head with one of the questions you posed earlier
"Could it be solely devoted to Q and A for a new or current product without flame wars errupting? "
In the case of new products it should be that way - just as it is when someone builds thier own or finds a new way place a sound or even finds a new site with cool sounds.
Leave the debaits for another forum, like the church or the clubhouse.

I agree with limiting it to Q&A only. Only downside is it requires a lot of monitoring and cutting by mods.

Maybe limit to Q&A only with the paid advertiser posts of new products?

When Joe Bang Flop askes " does anyone use the Nasty badcat E-call and what do they think of it" well thats fair game - within reason -any I think that the mods do a great job keeping it within reason already.

Just a quick response from the sticks in rural Arizona. I think this forum is fine the way it is. Let me explain-

I started here a couple of years ago reading and building an e-call with scrounged materials. I've tried most ways to transmit sound wireless and spent much more on tinkering than a FX3 would have cost. Most of the ideas were traded here and celebrated here.

As more people found this site all the forums have changed. Some, like the hand call thing needed a handle. I don't think this forum is even close and it should be left alone. Electronic calls are still in the rapid development stage and this brain trust of sorts will help the serious manufactures build better products.

I have read most of the negative comments and feel that the people who generate such have been delt with. First by those regular guys who have character and second, when necessary by the moderators. For this to proceed any further would be trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Please don't stiffle brain storming because a few might say something stupid. The only cure for stupidity is death and we certainlly can't endorse that. Maybe a cyber-neuter would be sufficient for the situation and that is already happening.

The Foxpro domination right now will fade as new callers come onto the market and other cheap suckers try to scab together a call. The weather will cool, hides will thicken, screams will bring 'ol front-eyes in and power smell will hang thick in the air soon enough. Foxpro, Loudmouth, Preymaster, Bandit, Wildlife and others are just sound boxes not hunting machines.

Ed

I thank you all for the thoughts. Now it is time to move on. Lets work to make this forum a better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back