Baiting

Murphys season continues. Alarm goes off 7:15 last night. Coyotes in and out of pile and I only have small window through trees to shoot. Just about time I settle camera goes off. Not wanting to wait for it to reset I take shot coyote goes down or so I think, tough to see in pile of bones and fur with no eye shine. I run downstairs grab the thermal and heat signature confirms a warm body at the bait. I get out there and only a pool of blood. Back to the house with the SD card and coyote can't seem to get up on the video. I go back with thermal and light but every rock in the woods looks like a dead coyote and blood trail is petering out, looking in the morning seems the best idea. Took my dog this morning followed her for a hundred yards picking up just specs of blood. She ran out of interest I ran out of blood ant time.

Last edited:
A "BITE" OF BAIT PILE HUMOR
"After much persistance and patience, I finally taught the fox to bring bait TO the bait pile. A.k.a......B.Y.O.B.- Bring your own bunny!"
w00t.gif

Last edited:

Gobbler, that is one heck of a photo, great scene and quality. You are a lucky man.

I have had a rabbit (or maybe different ones) hop though my bait site several times. I have even seen them on the same nights that both fox and coyotes showed up either earlier or later.

Which Moultrie do you have?

Hi 6, I have been using all Moultrie 900 series cameras. This particular camera is a 999i. I run them from about Sept/Oct thru Feb/Mar and have had few problems. I especially like their compact size. I do go through a lot of AA's however. One thing I added this year was a very simple plastic cover to my cameras just as an added protection from rain, snow, etc. (Will attach photo in next post.)
I have to admit, the bait pile in the above post, is never hunted over. It is solely a surveillance site for any possible coyote activity. Nothing so far.

Last edited:
Gobbler, that's a great idea. How did you attach the jug to the post? I can't quite see that from the photo.

As to the Moultrie cameras, I have the M880 that has been going strong for three years or so. I have it set to record 30-second videos and to reset quickly. The camera has been in the field all this time, 24/7 and 365 days a year and is still doing just fine.

As you mentioned, the Moultrie does eat AA batteries, but I purchased a wired plug that fits Moultrie cameras and use a small 12-volt, 7 amp battery placed in a small, plastic ammo can to use as an auxiliary battery. That will work for a couple of months or longer before needing a recharge.

Weekender, thanks. You never know what will show up on game cameras. Makes running them fun and interesting.
6, I have a "c" bracket, or whatever the technical term is, attached to the post. In the bracket sits a short piece of PVC pipe with a whole drilled all way through one end. I run a bolt through the pipe, punch a hole through the plastic jug and add that onto the bolt. Lastly, I screw on the camera to the bolt, then tighten everything up. The PVC pipe in the bracket allows me to adjust the camera angle up or down. So far it's been working well.
I need to seriously consider switching to a 12 v. battery set up. With running multiple cameras, I am blowing through AA batteries. I believe you posted something on this some time back. Right?

Gobbler, I may have posted it before, can't remember. I will search and see if I can find anything.

The batteries I use are relatively cheap on Ebay and they keep the camera recording videos for extended periods of time.
This little battery fits neatly inside a small, plastic ammo can. I simply run the wire through a small hole drilled in the ammo can
and plug up the Moultrie. You still need AA batteries in the Moultrie since you need to turn it on first, then close the door and
plug up the auxiliary battery.

6, Yea, I just ordered a 12v. this week off eBay for my Lightforce Nighthunter 170 gun mount light kit WHICH I will be selling on Pred. Mast. shortly. (Any Baiters interested PM me)
What type of wiring set-up connects the battery to the camera? A positive/negative clip from the battery to what type of plug? My electrical knowledge is between slim and none. Sorry.

Gobbler, I don't remember exactly where I got the plug, but I remember Googling for one to fit Moultrie cameras. The plug looks much like a CCTV male plug like this one.

After posting the above, I Googled and found this: Scroll down the page to see the cable. Looks like the cost is $14 and it looks like the CCTV one in the photo above.
The Red CCTV cable on Ebay is pretty darn cheap.

I have a few of those CCTV cables (red one from photo). Send me a mail with your address and I'll send you one. You can simply see if it fits the Moultrie female plug
and if it does, then hook it to a 12-volt source and see if it will power the camera. If so, then you can buy these little CCTV cables on Ebay in numbers for just a few dollars.

See "Heavy Duty External Power Cable"
http://www.custom1enterprises.com/custom1enterprises_010.htm

Here's a pack of 10 of those little CCTV cables on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-CCTV-secu...e-/252721901553

Question ? 6.
12 v. batteries on eBay show different amps.....some 4 amp some 8 amp. How do you know which amp is enough for the camera?
I'm guessing I will need 4 batts and I see multi-pak deals on eBay.
Thanks for the plug offer. Should one assume that if the plug fits one Moultrie, it would fit all Moultrie models or not so?

Gobbler, Most of my batteries are 7 amp and one is 8 amp. I haven't had any issues with running any of the 7 amp ones. I don't recall if I have used the 8 amp or not, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to.

It looks like from that website link I gave you (custom1enterprises.com) that there are two differnt plugs, but most of the cameras use the same plug.

Here's a list of the cameras one plug will fit (from that website): The other plug fits only a D40.

D-55 D-55IR I-35 I-45 I-40XT I-40
M-80 M-80BLX M-80XT M-80XD
M-100 I-65 M-990i M-1100i M-880 M-880i M-880C
D-555i D-333 D-444 PlotStalker
Panoramic 150 Panoramic 150

You won't know until you try the CCTV cables. If they work then you will have connectors for a lot of cameras. If it doesn't, then at least the $14 dollar one is available. As I remember, I paid a lot more than $14 for mine at the time, but I hadn't advanced enough with electronics enough at the time to know. My home-made night vision outfit uses the CCTV plugs.

6 - I saw that ,the different models listed except the M999i. It is a newer model and may just not be listed. I think I will call Moultrie and ask what size plug can be used for the M-999i. My other cameras are m-990i. Hopefully they all use the same plug. I'll also ask if the 900 series plugs will fit the m-880. If so we have a match!

Good idea to phone Moultrie. They may not want to tell you, but it won't hurt to ask if a 2.1mm CCTV plug will fit those cameras. If so, then you can wire them cheap. Otherwise, $14 for each plug / camera will add up quickly.

Thanks for all your expertise and help. I'll let you know what I find out. Ya know, no one said this baiting thing was easy, nor cheap. Lol! But we still love it...

Well, actually a few years ago a couple of guys (non-baiters) did say that it was too easy and that baiters are not true hunters. They learned a good lesson when I and some other PM members helped decisively educate them, learned not to be too quick to judge or open their mouths on things they have no idea about.

Actually, a lot of guys on the forums used to have a similar opinion, but baiting has become more popular as is evidenced by the continued success of this particular thread. As well, the continual drip, drip used to sound like a broken record playing over and over to "save your money and buy a Gen 3 scope," that a Gen 1 was junk and a waste of money. Of course my posts with lots of dead animals taken with my Gen 1 at the bait site and away from the bait site disproved that and now the prevailing word is that Gen 1 can be used for baiting but not much for calling, which I do happen to agree with in general - with the exception of the newer Armasight Gen 1 Core Vampire scopes. That little scope rocks with a good illuminator.

Baiting requires as much diligence and patience, maybe moreso than calling coyotes does. Baiting is not for anyone who doesn't like to be actively involved in checking cameras, keeping the site baited and trying to determine when to hunt. For me it's a year-around process even though I usually don't hunt in summer months even though I can if I want to. Still, the site needs bait to keep coyotes knowing where to find a meal.

You are right about one thing - Baiting is a lot of fun. Seems I never run out of options to try (NV scopes, rifles, calibers, loads, lights) and that keeps me going and gives me something new and exciting and something to look forward to. That's what it's all about, to me anyway and where the fun is. If I based my success on the numbers of coyote I drop, then I probably would have quit a long time ago. A coyote now and then keeps me hanging on, planning and looking forward to the next one.

Well said 6. I do remember a few voices speaking up against baiting, even on this thread. I also recall our Moderator explaining to those voices some years ago, if it's a legal form of hunting, to leave it alone.
Besides Caller's calls, guns, lights and a lot of land, Baiters work within confined spaces but are afforded the opportunity to utilize a myriad of technology and innovation to achieve the same goal. To me, Baiting is fun work -"If it's not fun, why do it?"
I am interested in your homemade Gen 1 night vision setup. I did view the "how to build" video as you suggested. But between now and the start of next season I need to get the battery dilemma resolved.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Well, actually a few years ago a couple of guys (non-baiters) did say that it was too easy and that baiters are not true hunters. They learned a good lesson when I and some other PM members helped decisively educate them, learned not to be too quick to judge or open their mouths on things they have no idea about.

Actually, a lot of guys on the forums used to have a similar opinion, but baiting has become more popular as is evidenced by the continued success of this particular thread. As well, the continual drip, drip used to sound like a broken record playing over and over to "save your money and buy a Gen 3 scope," that a Gen 1 was junk and a waste of money. Of course my posts with lots of dead animals taken with my Gen 1 at the bait site and away from the bait site disproved that and now the prevailing word is that Gen 1 can be used for baiting but not much for calling, which I do happen to agree with in general - with the exception of the newer Armasight Gen 1 Core Vampire scopes. That little scope rocks with a good illuminator.

Baiting requires as much diligence and patience, maybe moreso than calling coyotes does. Baiting is not for anyone who doesn't like to be actively involved in checking cameras, keeping the site baited and trying to determine when to hunt. For me it's a year-around process even though I usually don't hunt in summer months even though I can if I want to. Still, the site needs bait to keep coyotes knowing where to find a meal.

You are right about one thing - Baiting is a lot of fun. Seems I never run out of options to try (NV scopes, rifles, calibers, loads, lights) and that keeps me going and gives me something new and exciting and something to look forward to. That's what it's all about, to me anyway and where the fun is. If I based my success on the numbers of coyote I drop, then I probably would have quit a long time ago. A coyote now and then keeps me hanging on, planning and looking forward to the next one.

Well said David, baiting is not shooting fish in a barrel. And like all forms of hunting there's a lot more to it then pulling the trigger. The work, reward and anticipation is all part of the process.

I'd also like to commend you on your reviews and fact based posts. Too many guys post on assumptions and or limited experience with equipment they have or what they have heard second hand. Non biased real world honest experiences shorten the learning curve for all.

To all who contribute here I look forward to your posts

Back