Turkey Loads for Coyotes?????

Rusty Black

I can't find any number4 buckshot in my area...(largest legal shot) in Pa allowed.I was thinking about useing my turkey setup...Mossberg 535 Hastings .640 choke and 4,5, or 6 shot...have any of you guys tried it?My moss has killed big gobblers...out over 50 yards,but what about a coyote at 40 yards?

nope. shot size 4, 5 or 6 is not going to kill a coyote out at 40 yards.

you can order #4 buck from many places on the internet. they bring it right to you house.

Hmm, I'm pretty new to hunting coyotes with a rifle. Most of my experience has been with a shotgun. Trust me, with the right choke 3 1/2" lead 4s will level a coyote. Just need to burn some rounds and see what your pattern is doing.

Originally Posted By: PageHmm, I'm pretty new to hunting coyotes with a rifle. Most of my experience has been with a shotgun. Trust me, with the right choke 3 1/2" lead 4s will level a coyote. Just need to burn some rounds and see what your pattern is doing.

Lead #4 shot will kill a coyote if it is facing you at under 40 yards. But that does not make it a good coyote load.

Even lead #2 shot only works decent if the shot angle is perfect.

Lead BB shot is the smallest I would use on coyotes. If you reload, lead BBB or lead T shot works even better.

Number 4 buck will drop coyotes no matter which way they are headed.

i just knew there would be at least one.
w00t.gif

I've killed 14 or 15 coyotes with 12 gauge 3" turkey loads. Most turkey hunters have shot coyotes that come to their hen yelps and/or decoy. In my early years it was #4's, with a few #5's in lead and in the last few years Hevi 13 #6's. Inside and around 25 yards a tight center dense pattern to the head works "mostly." Be ready to add more shot as needed. Stretch the range or shoot them in the chest and they're gonna run, sometimes a damm long way. I lost several in the early years before I realized the limitations of the little shot. I certainly wouldn't use it if anything else is available. Heck I've killed a couple coyotes while squirrel hunting with 1 1/8 ounce of #5's. The coyotes were very close range volunteers and I wouldnt count on that load for much more than those sure gifts from above.

GC is right. I've killed many Coyotes with turkey loads. Dropped one at 45yds with Federal #6's last year. He went right down, flopped a minute and done. Killed many while duck hunting creeks with #4 steel. I wasn't targeting them but when they trot in looking for a meal I wont pass up a good frontal shot. I use #4 buck when calling coyotes. Any heavyweight load of #4's will give them a dirt nap.

I ve shot a couple out to 45 yards with federal number 5's while turkey hunting with my 10 guage. Pick up some winchester or hornady copper plated BB shot. I've doppped em in their tracks out to 67 yards with lead BB. Just aim for their heads.

Last edited:
We can only legally use buckshot number 4 for our largest shot...Love to shoot bb...but I ordered buckshot number 4 last night..Im sticking with my shot and choke combo....thanks fellers!

Back