Savage a17 problem

Rhett Steele

18 shots out of the new a17 and no bang. There is a small sent on cartridge but not like the sent on spent brass. Is it possible the spring already broke? Anyone else have this issue?

Originally Posted By: Rhett Steele18 shots out of the new a17 and no bang. There is a small sent on cartridge but not like the sent on spent brass. Is it possible the spring already broke? Anyone else have this issue?

As always with a no fire check the barrel for obstruction, I'm sure it's clear but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Did it not go bang on just that one round and/or did you try others and they didn't fire either?

The A17's have a similar firing system as an AR and I'm going to say it's doubtful you broke a hammer spring but anything is possible.

More information as to what it all did and what it's not doing, specifically, would be helpful.

Can't say on the savage but my 17 her nef has had several fail to fire rounds over the years. Sometimes all I have to do is rotate the round and try again. I've just chalked it up to the ammunition.

I was sighting it in, shooting the cci a17 ammo. Shot 18 flawless, then click, ejected shell, put in another, click. Went and tried a hornady, click. Last three casings have a small mark but not the sent like the fired ones.

Does it feel any different cycling the bolt now versus when it was working properly before??

Have you taken it apart yet? The A17 is very easy to disassemble and once you have the stock off the whole trigger housing comes out and you can look down inside to see if anything isn't working properly or broken.

If you aren't overly familiar with taking these things apart Savage has a video on their website the walks you through the whole A17 disassembly procedure but like I said earlier, these things are very easy to take apart and put back together.

You mentioned the bolt being sticky, I'm wondering if the bolt isn't closing all the way giving you those light strikes.

When I got mine I took it all apart and cleaned it then lightly re-lubed the bolt like they suggest and put it back together. I'd go through it like this video suggests and give it another try.

https://vimeo.com/121780092

For the record, I do own a Savage A17. I did not have the problem you are experiencing with mine, but I did have a very similar experience with my CZ 512 Tactical. Drove me nuts. Sometimes it would fire, other times nothing. I cleaned a lubed the gun when I bought it, but did it again. Honestly, when I was shooting it, I felt there was a 50/50 chance it would fire. I was also experiencing failures to feed and failures to eject along with the failure to fire.

I sent the gun back to CZ and they sent me a checklist of what they did. Firing pin, firing pin spring, and IIRC, the bolt catch spring. It worked when it came back though I put it away after I tested it upon receipt. I would not waste time fooling with it. I would send it back and let them go over it. I've had too many guns where I struggled to get them operating properly, and end up hating the gun. Send it back and let them deal with it.

While messing with it today I noticed slop in the trigger assembly. Do you notice movement in trigger assembly? This btw is while still mounted in the stock.

I was going to take rifle apart, pushed in the take down pin and it disappeared into dust cover. Aggravating to say the least.

Other than the magazines being finicky when installing I haven't had any problems with mine. Ill check the dent on the cartridge tomorrow when I take it out.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleWhile messing with it today I noticed slop in the trigger assembly. Do you notice movement in trigger assembly? This btw is while still mounted in the stock.

I was going to take rifle apart, pushed in the take down pin and it disappeared into dust cover. Aggravating to say the least.

Not really sure what you mean by it disappeared but as you push the pin in you lightly pry up on the dust cover and it pops right off.

It sounds as though you aren't particularly familiar with the disassembly procedure of your A17 so I'd suggest clicking on the link in my previous post and watching the video before you attempt to take it apart. Or, it may be best for you to take it to a gunsmith or send it back to Savage. If you call Savage's Tech line they'll send you a prepaid label so it'll cost you nothing but your time boxing it up and sending it back.

If you haven't already, please watch the video B23 linked. The A17 is one of the easiest actions to take apart, clean/grease, and put back together. At least if you do take it apart, when you put it back together you will know for sure if it needs to be sent back.

Eric
cool.gif

Finally got the dust cover off and problem solved. Well not solved just saw what is wrong. The back wall of what I'm calling the lower, is broke clean off. There is a plate behind the hammer. It is now at an angle in steady of being square. One side cracked , the other side sheared clean off and towards the hammer about 3/16". Gonna have to ship her back.

Never had to sendone back, is savage quick on repair?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleFinally got the dust cover off and problem solved. Well not solved just saw what is wrong. The back wall of what I'm calling the lower, is broke clean off. There is a plate behind the hammer. It is now at an angle in steady of being square. One side cracked , the other side sheared clean off and towards the hammer about 3/16". Gonna have to ship her back.

Never had to sendone back, is savage quick on repair?

Not quite sure I follow, any chance you could snap a couple cell phone pics and post them or I could pm you my number. Being a A17 owner myself I'd like to see what went wrong or broke with yours.

As for how quick their turn around time is on repairs, I think it somewhat depends on what they all have to fix. I've had them send me the parts and I replaced/fixed the problem myself but since this is a trigger issue they may insist on having the gun sent back for the repair/s. When you call Savage Tech Support (1-413-568-7001) ask to speak with Joel, he's great to work with and will do everything he can to help you get it up and running as quickly as possible.

ive never sent a gun back to savage, however every time i've called their CS department they've gone over the top to help me out with my issues, even when they werent savage specific problems (i was having problems getting my 93r17 to fit into a boyds for example).

they went out of their way to get me the necessary info and the few small parts (a couple actions screws and a bedding post) to make the conversion happen easily for me.

Back