What's it going to take to impress me?

CZ527

I have decided to get a suppressor, mostly because I have some pretty significant hearing loss in my left ear.

So far, I am yet to be impressed by anything I've sat next to shooting that wasn't "full bore."
What I mean is... 22-250 through a 30 caliber can still sounds pretty darn loud to me most of the time.

I can buy a TBAC Ultra 7, almost a unicorn right now.... but I don't really think it's going to live up to my expectations.

I have been around enough suppressors to know that they aren't Hollywood quiet, but seriously what's the point if it's still over 130 dB?

Am I better off without one? I can't buy one for every caliber....

Am I searching for something that doesn't exist?

I care very little about them for coyote hunting. Been there and seen it happen time and again.... they still run.

I've been around suppressors made by Silencerco, Surefire, AAC, Dead Air, yankee hill and others.

The only ones that sound worth it are full of bullet.

What gives?

Everyone has their own cup of tea, or koolaid to some, I know I'm sure particular to a select few, having shot multiple cans from Silencerco, TBAC, SAS, Liberty, AAC, KAC, YHM, Gemtech, SWR, Rugged, Mack Bros, Lane, TBP, DAW, Elite Iron, and or course SRT.
It's fun actually using them in the field hunting, shooting, filming, helping fellas out, with experience based in the field, not from behind sales counter. I get quiet a few calls and definitely give my opinion based on our experience with them, whether it's tone difference, attachment method, grouping, FRP, or POI shift.

I definitely don't know more than some, but probably a little more than most regarding hunting with them, it's a little different than rolling out the tape and trying to measure each other up with statements that fall in the line of the quietest silencer on the market...

You are right, some coyotes still run, with most people out their running cans now days, the advantage to killing suppressed is slowly declining but I still feel it's worth every penny, if you get a good can.

Everyone has their design, that's better or quieter for some reason, I believe this to a very small degree, however most say it to get a sale. It's fun entertainment sitting back watching who's is the "best". Way I see it, is like my Hoyt Alphamax, IBO at 320fps, the technology is only so advanced, how long before we see 400 IBO? Same thing in the suppressor world, no matter what baffle design you use unless it's monolithic, it's only going to get you so far, machine more, make it lighter, longer, stronger, whatever, until we can mask the sonic crack like a sub, you get what you get.

You have to remember that's a 130 dB in a nano second, not sustained. To put it in comparison, loud hand clapping is 130 dB.

It sounds like you not going to be pleased no matter what you get. If your going to get one anyway you might get one with an extra baffle to make it as quiet as possible, Call Skinny he can set you up with the right one.
smile.gif

it won't where it could if they took the stamp off then you could just buy over the counter.then there would be some real growth right now I think the wait time if you put in after june is about a year,i am not interested in waiting that long for another.

I have a 7" Reaper. It has been exceptional on everything I've tried it on except my 22-250, it is louder than I'd like. I should try one of my longer .30 cans and see how they sound. I'm going to hazard a guess that .22-250 just needs longer than a 7" .30 can to quiet it.

Building a 22 hellcat soon and looking into a can for it. I'm going to try my sas sentinel on it but I think some guns might just be loud no matter what you do. Only one way to find out

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterit won't where it could if they took the stamp off then you could just buy over the counter.then there would be some real growth right now I think the wait time if you put in after june is about a year,i am not interested in waiting that long for another.

There's a predicted wait time? Where'd you find this?

Originally Posted By: crapshootOr get a 30 cal can and dedicate it to be used only on 308 or 300blk and shoot only sub sonic ammo.

Rather go deaf, lol. They still make 30 caliber bullets? Why?

Jk thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking that the technology may not be there to justify me (not rich) buying one.

I'll say though that the quietest suppressed rifle I have ever heard (supersonic) is a 20" 22-250 with a 5.56 YHM on it. I think its just that particular one for some reason. Never seen anything else come close, and I know there are a lot better suppressors out there for one reason or another.

You're probably not going to find anything that'll satisfy your requirements. It is costly.

I don't use hearing protection while hunting so if it'll help preserve my hearing a bit I figure it'd be worth it. While it might still be pretty loud, it's much quieter than nothing.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I'm thinking that the technology may not be there to justify me (not rich) buying one.

I'll say though that the quietest suppressed rifle I have ever heard (supersonic) is a 20" 22-250 with a 5.56 YHM on it. I think its just that particular one for some reason. Never seen anything else come close, and I know there are a lot better suppressors out there for one reason or another.

The new technology they come out with these days is in Hearing aids and there pretty good! I would just start saving your money right now for the new and greatest set because there only about $6000.00 right now and not waste your money on a CAN! by the time your 50 or so you will be needing them rather you like them or Not JMO
wink.gif
wink.gif

Buy the way my YHM 7.62 works very well on everything from 17 cal to 30 cal... YMMV

I love the sas sentinel on my 20 practical. My nephew said the impact from the bullets hitting a coyote was louder than the report of the rifle.

Have excellent insurance, don't have a line on free suppressors though....

I wear plugs, muffs or both, all the time.

Just looking for a way to avoid hearing protection altogether.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I'll spend the cash on a scope, or save it until I can buy a designated suppressors for 22, 24 and 26 caliber.

Have a good evening everyone.

Of course it's still going to be loud, it's a gunshot. Your average suppressor will drop the report down from 165db to 135db. That's below the 140db hearing damage threshold. Unless you shoot subsonic, that is about as good as it will get without having a long barrel and long suppressor. What's the point? Don't need ear pro, won't damage your hearing, still get the benefits of reduced recoil/muzzle rise/etc, helps with kids or beginner shooters. How quiet do you need it to be? Yes, coyotes will still run...there's a 135db report headed their way. Like skinney has said before though, sometimes it will confuse them since it isn't as loud as usual and you may get another shot opportunity. It also allows you to make more stands in the same area of land since the sound doesn't carry as far. How is being below the hearing damage threshold and not needing ear pro not worth it to you? Is it just the cost? I've been waiting years for MN to allow suppressors and when they finally did, I dropped $1000 on my Omega and tax stamp immediately. I don't regret it one bit, will never shoot unsuppressed again, and plan to buy more.

Last edited:
I agree. I got my first suppressor in 2009. Now i have 8 of them.
Im using a Specwar 7.62 on my 20" 223 and with the gas turned down alot it is pretty dang quiet.
Comparing the Specwar to the YHM Phantom Ti 7.62 they have the same tone and sound the same.
I cant remember the last time i shot a rifle without a can. Once you get one you wont want to do without.

I shoot a saker 7.62 with a 22 endcap installed with a 22-250. Its good. I also shoot it quite a bit with the 30 caliber cap on a .243 and have been real pleased. Its a heavy can, but built like a tank. I use it with a direct thread attachment. I do have a form 1 titanium can with a .30 caliber end cap. I use it primarily on a 18" bbl 6.5 creedmoor and have very happy with that as well.

I guess my expectations are met with all my suppressors. I do see that some rifles suppress much better than others, especially bolt guns vs AR's. Especially around objects, berms, vehicles etc. it all makes a difference at the ear.

Good luck...

Back