Baffle strike on my Harvester! Again!

Man that sucks. Let us know how it turns out after the repair. And yes Silencerco has legit CS. One reason I own a bunch of their cans.

I got it back Friday, and it looks like new. In fact I think it all is, except maybe the outer tube. Can't say enough good about that company.

Well guess what? Shooting with it on my 260, 123 Amax. That rifle has Perfect and Tight threads. Shot a terrible group. Bring the rifle in all disgusted and I can hear a rattle. Unthread it to find a piece of baffle laying on the muzzle, I have no idea what happened here. I'm starting to think these Harvesters are just too weak to hold up.

The weird thing is that the first baffle is fine then the next several are chipped on one side, but it didn't come out the front. The anchor brake is fine.Last summer when this happened I blamed a bad varmint bullet as the cause. I really can't figure an Amax came apart, and they all hit the target, although the group was terrible.

What the heck is going on here?

Originally Posted By: liliysdadAre you saying you unthreaded the brake?

No I'm saying a bunch of the baffles are chipped, but it didn't go out the end and wreck the anchor brake. The blast baffle is fine, then there is a pretty big chunk out of the second baffle and a smaller chip out of the next several, maybe all of them in fact, but it didn't chip out the end. My theory is the second baffle broke and took out the rest. Much less damage than the last time. There's no way the bullet hit the second baffle unless part of the jacket came off right there and I doubt that on a target bullet doing 2700 fps. And still able to hit a 200 yd target.

Im sorry to hear about all the headaches you have had...but on the other hand, im sure hundreds of harvesters are being used with no problems of being weak...are u sure this is not something attributed to the bullets you are shooting?

I have 2 Harvesters and have shot them on my 204 to my 7mm and everything in between. I have had no problems with mine.

Good to hear about the customer service, I just hope you find the problem. I put one in jail last month. Will be watching this to see what they say about it this time.

Harvester was the first can I bought. No telling how many rounds have been through mine. 223, 220 Swift, 243, 260, and 270 Win. Everything from 40 V-Max in the 223 to 145 ELD-X in the 270. It has never missed a lick, no issues.

Just a random thought here though. Do you think maybe when you got that end cap strike, that somehow it could have knocked the threads out of alignment on the can? You would think SiCo would have checked that when they fixed it, but who knows?

You have a really strange situation going on there. I will be following to see what the resolution is.

Yeah I have no idea. Been hundreds of rounds between now and then and only a few from my 270 Wby, other than that the 260 and 6.5 creedmoor would be the next hottest. And most are from the 243lbc.

Well they are going to cover it again. I did some shooting with it and it doesn't seem to affect accuracy so I might not send it in right away. I asked what he thought happened and he said bullet de-stabilization would be the most common cause and it isn't uncommon for them to not take out all the baffles. I asked if the bullet could still hit a 200 yard target and he said that part is weird.

It would be nice to know what in the world is going on but at least they stand behind it, whether it's a faulty product or not. It would be pretty easy for a company to say "Sorry Charlie" on stuff like this.

Back